We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando to FLorida Keys- Drive or Fly/Drive? Other options?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando to FLorida Keys- Drive or Fly/Drive? Other options?

I've heard the drive from Orlando to Miami is incredibly dull! Well, we're going to Orlando for a week, then taking another week to go to the keys (staying at Hawk's Cay). Google maps suggested it is a 7 hour drive from Orlando to Duck Key... so if we left around lunch, we would be driving in at sunset (ish). Yet... from reading other posts, I'm thinking that might not be accurate. Thinking Saturday (In June!) might be a little longer, due to traffic/etc. Correct?

So...has anyone driven this? Suggestions? I don't want to waste an entire day driving, really..I was thinking we could drive the card sound, and hit Alabama Jacks..etc. But I don't want to arrive at the hotel near midnight! Also, leaving for home from Miami- so car rental from Orlando/return to miami ight be expensive. Better to fly to miami, drive from there? I hear there is a shuttle from orlando to miami- leatehr seats,e tc. Anyone have suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Duck Key
Duck Key
Florida Keys, FL
Alabama Jack's
Alabama Jack's
1,206 Reviews
Key Largo, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
110 Reviews
US$145 per adult
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
119 Reviews
US$63 per adult
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
396 Reviews
US$65 per adult
US$75
North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando to FLorida Keys- Drive or Fly/Drive? Other options?

As I understand you, your flight home leaves from Miami. Flights one way from Orlando to Miami right now are about $70 - I'd definitely pay that to avoid the drive. It's not necessarily THAT dull, but it can be a hassle, especially once you reach Palm Beach County.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando to FLorida Keys- Drive or Fly/Drive? Other options?

Timewise you're not saving much flying into Miami when you factor in the check-in time and time to get the rental to drive to the Keys. Say 1 hr check in, 1 hr flight, and 1 1hr by the time you collect your luggage and get the rental car.

Now if you can get a decent fare into Key West that may work - it's a shorter drive back to Duck Key than from Miami to Duck Key and definitely a scenic drive.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Duck Key
Duck Key
Florida Keys, FL
North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando to FLorida Keys- Drive or Fly/Drive? Other options?

According to Orbitz, flights into Key West from Orlando are about $300 one way - knew they'd be high.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
4. Re: Orlando to FLorida Keys- Drive or Fly/Drive? Other options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 15:16