We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

Ok...dolphin swims are way over-priced!!!gimmick charges for pictures too. ANy suggestions on fairly priced encounters kids can enjoy with out being ripped off-going in July. And any other suggestions for kids..which key, which hotel...fairly priced.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

Where in the Keys are you going to be?

You have a few choices and I have never heard of people thinking they have been ripped off at the places we have. Go to one where you can take you OWN photos.

It's not an activity that everyone can do, the dolphin can't have thousands of people everyday. All of the places I have ever mentioned are reputable places and aren't ripping you off. It's not a cheap activity.

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

We are staying in Ft Lauderdale for a convention and thought it might be fun to do an extension to the Keys. Honestly, we dont know where....we have never been there..we are open to suggestions. But, not quite sure its worth the extra expense...we may just stay in ft lauderdale and appreciate the beach. I looked into about 7 places around the keys.It is roughly $150-180 per person to hang with a dolphin for 30 minutes. Very expensive for a family with 3 kids.And still an entry fee and if you dont participate, an observation fee anywhere form $10 to $80.I think at that rate, we will have to appreciate dolphins via the Discovery Channel...very dissappointed.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

150 - 180 is quite cheap!!

If you go to Discovery Cove it will be well over 230 $ (well, on the other hand you will be having an ALL-Inn day there)

I know it is not what everyone considers as CHEAP but hey, when and where can you swim with dolphins??

I don´t think you could offer this experience for 50 Dollar or so...

anyways, have fun and enjoy your trip!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

I would not suggest a dolphin swim for kids under 10. They are too young to really appreciate it. And, speaking from experience, my son was too frightened of this giant animal to really enjoy the experience.

Theatre of the Sea has a "meet the dolphin" experience that is $75 pp. Even just watching the dolphin and sealion shows may be enough for your group. Here's a post from someone who did several of the TOTS experiences. You may want to pm them.

tripadvisor.com/…14406526

I'll suggest Dove Creek Lodge for your family. A 2 br suite is #300 in mid summer. It has a full kitchen which makes for a more relaxing stay. You might want to look at condos at Mariners Club,too.

Free or nearly so things to do in the Upper Keys: wild bird sanctuary in Key Largo, feed the tarpon at Robbies, explore World Wide Sportsman store (boat and aquarium in the store), Anne's beach. The not very expensive Jacob's aquatic center mentioned in the linked post will be great for your family. You'll want to do the snorkel trip to the state park. With 5 in the family, check out Quiessence and Morningstar - you could be the entire charter.

5. Re: florida key dolphin swim ages 6-9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 20:18