We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Help - I am totally at a loss with this area of the world as we have never travelled there ! We are planning on visiting the States in June 2010 - traveling from NYC down the east coast to all the attractions in Orlando and then would love some chill out time before our long flight back to Australia. The more I look the more confused I am - I am looking for some where with a resort type feel, good for families (kids will be 12 & 15) and option to do as much or as little as need be. Any advice would be great ! Thanks

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Tranquility Bay is a nice resort type place. But it's in Marathon - in the keys - about 7 hours from Orlando.

What type of things do you want to do?

What airport will you be flying home from?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

True. So many places in florida with that resort feel. The question is what do you and the kids enjoy? Are beaches important to you or are you happy with a resort pool area etc....fishing, golf, watersports......

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

The Keys are wonderful - just make sure you want to drive all the way down here from Orlando. About 6 hrs.

Like mentioned - Tranquility Bay is great for families as is Hawks Cay - both Marathon, FL Keys

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Thanks for the info. Our plan was to fly where we need to from Orlando - is that an option ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Sorry - forgot to mention that regardless where we go in the State of departure point will have to be LA. :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Resort for us is definately the way to go. bEaches are nice but sand does tend to get in the way !, just kidding ! The kids love snorkeling but we like the peace of resort atmosphere etc.. We also like the option of leaving the resort to have a look around and maybe eat out at different places. Can we do the everglades here or are we in completely the wrong area ???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Thanks for your info - initially we looked at South Beach in Miami but there are s many great places from what I can gather. We will have a huge haul home so the option of some rest and relaxation before we leave would be great !

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

Well if snorkeling is a plus, look at John Pennekamp park in Key Largo. It is in the Upper Keys so requires not nearly as much driving as the Lower Keys. Snorkeling is excellent. Many Resort Hotels there tho we usually get a house so I'm not the best to recommend. You could fly into Mia and rent a car and be there in about an hour or two max! Lots of good restaurants in Key Largo, Tavernier and nearby Islamorada.

9. Re: Family spot for fun in the sun ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 07:16