We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling questions

South Dakota
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling questions

My family will be staying in Islamorada over Easter and would like to try snorkeling but have never tried it before. My 14 yr. old is a good swimmer but my 17 yr. old is not as confident in the water and is also a diabetic with an insulin pump. My questions are do you- or can you- wear a life jacket when snorkeling? Also since my son can only be without his pump for an hour or so at a time can he get out of the water at any time he needs to? Can you recommend a good company that would be accommodating to newbies like us? We will have a car and don't necessarily need to stay in Islamorada.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling questions

Yes, everyone must wear a life vest...it's not a life jacket, but a bright colored inflatable/deflatable vest. Those who aren't strong swimmers blow it up and it keeps them very buoyant; stronger swimmers and experienced snorkelers can deflate the vest so they can dive beneath the water to get closer looks at the underwater environment.

Yes, your son will be able to get in and out of the water as he needs to.

The snorkel boats in Key Largo would be the closest to Islamorada; in Key Largo we like Keys Diver http://www.keysdiver.com/ Nice, helpful people. However, any snorkel tour operation should be accommodating to newbies; as I think most guests have never snorkeled before.

Another suggestion for snorkeling would be to plan a day trip to beautiful Bahia Honda State Park http://www.bahiahondapark.com/ just below Marathon. It is the largest and most beautiful beach in the Keys. A great place to spend a day. You can pack a picnic and/or there is also a snack bar.

The park's snorkel boat tours go out to our favorite snorkel location Looe Key. The coral reefs there are the best in the Keys, and it is always full of tropical fish and other sealife. It is a short boat ride to the reef there, and the boat crews are always extremely nice and helpful. I highly recommend.

I've never been down over Easter; I always try to avoid big Holidays and crowds. I'm thinking it's a pretty popular time to be in the Keys. I've rarely had to make reservations for snorkeling, but since it's a big holiday, you would need to call which ever snorkel op. you choose to make reservations for a snorkel tour during your stay there.

Best Wishes!

Edited: 21 January 2010, 04:30
Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling questions

There are a couple of boats out of Islamorada. The names have escaped me at the moment, but when you arrive, stop by the Islamorada Visitor center, and / or ask your hotel.

Yes, you can wear a floatation device. Plus, I bet you'll be surprised at how easy it is to float in our water. the hard part is going under water!. You can get out of the water as often as you want. Many of the boats have a long rope hanging off the back to hang on to if you're uncomfortable.

Every outfitter is fine with newbies, it's part of the job. Don't hesitate trying, it's fun and easy. try to work around the weather too. It can be windy that week, go on a day with as little wind as you can get. For Comfort and visability.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
South Dakota
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling questions

That makes me feel so much better- I didn't want to put my son in a situation that could be dangerous for him. I had been planning to check out Bahia Honda park anyway so that would be perfect. Thanks for your replies:)

4. Re: snorkeling questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 05:19