We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

Don't let your vacation be ruined by getting a speeding ticket! All this week, FHP has increased their steed traps on the Stretch (section between Florida City - mainland- and Key Largo). There is a single southbound passing zone on the Stretch and FHP has had a plane in the air over it nearly every morning this week. Speeders (it's a 55 zone) are pulled over by half a dozen FHP officers waiting just past the passing zone.

The other "HOT" spot this week has been the northbound lane of the Jewfish Creek Bridge. That's MM 107. They either position the radar as you are just getting onto the bridge or on the other side as you are heading down. That's a 45 zone.

In the past two days, I have seen more than 15 rental cars and cars with out-of-state tags. Don't know exactly how much the fines are, but I do know the minimum in Monroe County for speed is $350. It would sure ruin a vacation.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

THANK YOU! For the heads up!

Have to run up to Homestead next week. Started to today but got lazy. I did see a group pulled over on that spot on the stretch early Dec.

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

Duly noted. Thanx for the info. (Note to self...only have 3, okay...4 beers after leaving Gilberts).

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

Creepy as it was, there was a sheriff's car in the parking lot at Gilberts. When we left, he pulled out behind us and followed us. I am a non-drinker and was our designated driver. I felt sure he was trying to find someone to stop and check to see if they had been drinking. Mind you, I don't condone drinking and driving, but sitting in an establishment's parking lot must sure put a damper on that place's business.

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

THANX. (Note to self... If the Man is in the parking lot, wait til he leaves afore I leave).

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

I've got a good one for you WNB, I think your FHP gets bored sitting around down there. I'm sure you heard of one particular patrolman whom we call Trailer Trooper. He pulls over almost everyboat he can thats coming into the keys. He pulled us and went over everything. Even looked under the truck at the trailer hitch. When he couldn't find anything to write us a ticket for he decided our truck was not big enough to pull our boat and made us go the the semi-truck weigh station and weigh it and the boat. He followed us there to see if we were legal. He seemed extremely upset that he could find anything to ticket but still wrote a warning about the red flag on the motor being prominent enough! The man really really really wants to write tickets!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

Born - that sounds like a bad day. ugh.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

Yeah, it took a couple hours out of our trip. Guess it could have been worse, he could have found something to write a ticket for!

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

OMG!

FHP was at MM 112 northbound today... just before the entrance to Manatee Bay Marina....

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

If things go as planned, I'll be driving up Tues morn. Gotta remind myself to keep it in check!

10. Re: Don't let your vacation in the Keys be ruined.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 07:16