We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do

NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What to do

We fly into mia on a monday, we are thinking drive to key largo poke around some, tues go to islamorada and then weds head to kw till fri morn. My question is this too much..we want beach time. dh wants to fish, i will shop while he is doing that, we want to snorkel and most of all relax and eat and drink.

As always THANKS

KMHNY

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do

From the experience I've had, I think I would poke about Key Largo and Islamorada on the way to the Marathon area for Monday night, then head on to Key West on Tuesday or Wednesday after I had explored the Marathon area. It's too bad your trip is so short. There is so much to see and do in the Keys that we've found that 3 weeks was too short.

NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do

Thank you! We are still debating. i see you know alot about yellowstone. We are going 6/26 with our 11 year old triplets. 5 nights in YS, $ nights GT and then we are driving to Glacier for 5 nights and flting out of spokane. After i get thru the Keys i will be focusing on that trip.

Does marathon have more then key largo?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,005 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do

Not sure how to answer your last question. They are different - really depends on what you are looking for.

KL has Pennekamp, Wild Bird Center and Dolphins Plus

Marathon - Dolphin Research, Turtle Hospital, Crane Point and a few other parks.

Restaurants - both have a good selection.

Both have 2 grocery stores.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do

IMHO, things in and around Marathon are better than Key Largo. There's not much shopping any where in the Keys, especially not KL or Marathon. In Key West you can find a few neat shops, and some nice Art galleries, but even there shopping is not a big time activity; avoid the junky t-shirt shops on Duval.

The best Keys style beaches are near Marathon.... Sombrero Beach Park is a lovely little beach in Marathon, and just beyond the 7 mile bridge at Bahia Honda State PArk, is the largest and most beautiful beach in the Keys. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34085-d21…

The best snorkeling in the Keys IMHO is at Looe Key, reachable from the snorkel tour boats at BHSP, and Strike Zone Charters in nearby Big Pine Key.

-Just FYI, be sure you understand what the beaches are like in the Keys. Some people are very disappointed; as Key's beaches are not long, beautiful sandy beaches. Bahia Honda is the only large naturally sandy beach in the KEys; it also naturally sometimes has a lot of seagrasses piled on the shore; being a state park the beach is not groomed. (Sombrero Beach is sandy, but only because they haul in sand) Most beaches in the Keys are small, narrow and rocky with coral.

In KW I like the beach at Fort Zach. Taylor; it is a bit rocky by the shore, but the beach is wide, plus you can snorkel around the rocks just offshore; nothing like the coral reefs, but will do for a beach day....FYI, this is what I do when dh is off fishing or playing golf in KW... I ride my bike to Fort Zach Taylor bringing along a good book and my snorkel gear and camp out on the beach for the day! The park service rents beach chairs,etc. and has a snack bar right off the beach.

-------LOTS of great eating and drinking in the Keys!

5. Re: What to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:18