We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Kissimmee to Key West?

scotland
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Kissimmee to Key West?

Hi,

We are coming to Florida for two weeks in early May and are wondering how long the drive will take down to the Keys (on Sat 8th May).

We are trying to decided whether to stay a night in Key West before 4 nights in Marathon, or just all 5 nights in Marathon.

Many thanks,

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,654 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Kissimmee to Key West?

Figure 4 - 4.5 hours drive time from Kissimmee to Key Largo.

Add another hour from Key Largo to Marathon, and another hour from Marathon to Key West.

Should you stay in Key West? I don't know. Where are you planning to stay? What are you planning to do? If it were me, I'd stay in Marathon and make a day trip to Key West. In fact I do this a lot.

When I do this, I don't drink - at all. I've made the trip many times and enjoy the trip, but if you're gonna party like a rock star, stay in Key West. US 1 is no place for drinking and driving.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,626 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Kissimmee to Key West?

I agree with BG, if you are drinking plan on staying the nite. I am not a fan of driving back from Key West at nite anyway. I have done it as the designated driver & didn't care for it as the road seems different at nite & its not well lit in many places. We take day trips lots of times but usually come back before dark.

3. Re: Drive from Kissimmee to Key West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Florida Keys