We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip advice

Belfast
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
trip advice

my wife and i plan to travel to the keys 7-12 november from miami.

we had planned in staying 5 night in key largo but noq think it may be better to drive straight to key west for three nights and then the last two in key largo.

we are really unsure as to the best option and i am probably over complicating things !

any sugestions or tips - she is very keen in swimming with dolphins and i want to see plenty of marine wildlife.

all ideas, hotel advice etc welocomed -

budget would be 150 per night for accomm

thanks

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: trip advice

If you fancy the night life crowd then spend the majority of time in KW. In fact spend all of it there and just the day in Key Largo on the way back to Miami.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip advice

There's no wrong answers - just lots of right answers. And the Keys are about relaxing so don't get too caught up in this. You've never been here so I think you should split your time and see more of the place. You must spend the night in KW to really appreciate it so your idea of 3/2 makes sense to me.

The one thing that you must figure out right away is the dolphin swim. Those get booked up. Dolphins Plus, Dolphins Research Center, Theatre of the Sea are all options.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
984 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip advice

You might want to consider spending two nights in Key Largo first, then going to Key West. This way you have the option to be in Key West three nights or stay for just two and then spend another night in Key Largo on the way back. Your interests sound like you might find more to do in Key Largo and at John Pennekamp State Park.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip advice

Maybe not stay in Key West at all. Based on your interests for marine life it sounds as though you want more of a nature based stay in the Keys.

You'll have your taste of the city in Miami. Why not stay with your plan and stay up north - maybe Tavernier which will give you access to John Pennecamp for diving, snorkeling and some of the Dolphin swims . Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key is really good or Theatre of the Sea. Some affordable bets might be the Islander or Ocean Pointe Suites.

Further south you might stay around Big Pine Key, Ramrod or Big Torch which will give you quick access to the action of Key West (within 30 mins.)but also proximity to some great kayaking, snorkeling at Looe Key Reef and the beautiful beach at Bahia Honda State Park. Marathon (mid keys) has affordable lodging , 5 min. to Bahia Honda (with boats out to the reef) but then more of a drive to Key West.

5. Re: trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 12:35
6. Re: trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2011, 04:16