We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to the Keys

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to the Keys

Hi

We are an English couple who have visted Orlando 3 times and are thinking about visiting the keys for 3 weeks in May , We are looking to stay in Miami for 3 nights and then travel at our own leisure to Key West. We have noted all the wonderful locations that have been mentioned, but are a little concerned that there will be enough to see and do.

So are we better flying in and out of Orlando and travelling down through Fort Lauderdale and back up through Naples and Fort Myers or Flying in and out of Miami and staying around the keys.

We would like to explore the everglades and if possible stop around this area for 2 - 3 days

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
71 reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
55 reviews
from US$63.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
377 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to the Keys

Personally 3 weeks just in the Keys is a long time, for me, unless you plan to just do a lot of relaxing and fishing. Do not discount your travel times either and how exhausting they might be (i.e. Orlando to Miami is about a 3-4 hour drive). Between Orlando, Miami/Fort Lauderdale and the Keys I think you can def take advantage of 3 weeks. This should included some days of relaxing by the ocean/pool, of course.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to the Keys

3 weeks in the keys - I WISH!!!!!!

Remember - Doing nothing, is doing something and can take up a bunch of time. (How's that for some serious Zen thought). If you spend 3 days in MIA and 3 days in exploring the everglades, that leaves only 2 weeks for the keys (less time doing nothing).

I'd fly into FLL or MIA. Like the last poster mentioned - Orlando is quite a drive from Miami and the keys.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to the Keys

I don't recommend flying into Orlando to see Fort Lauderdale. MIA, as annoying as it can be, makes more sense. Get your car at MIA and drive to Fort Lauderdale Beach for a few days. You can get over the jet lag and take in the sights. Then take the Florida Turnpike from 595 as your route to get to the upper Keys, with a stop at the Everglades on the way. Work your way down to Key West. Come back and spend the last few days of the trip in Miami or on South Beach. If you decide on South Beach you might turn in the car first.

4. Re: First trip to the Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 05:18