We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
167 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Hi Guys

Just wanted a little bit of advice as were planning a trip to Florida and just wanted to know if our itinery was achieveable and to see if you could recommend where to stay..

Were planing on travelling in June...flying into Orlando for 7 nights, then driving down to Miami for 3 nights followed by 4 nights in the Florida Keys.

Is this enough time in each place?

Would you recommend Miami Beach or Downtown Miami?

Which of the keys would you recommend?

We will be either 4 or 6 adults with no kids...we would like nice accomodation, maybe with a pool in Miami, or on the beach with a pool in the Keys. We probabaly want to pay around $150 per night per room (couple), but less if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Helen

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Stay in Miami Beach / South Beach for your Miami part of the trip.

IF it were me - I would do less time in Orlando and more time in the Keys or Miami area.

Each area of the Keys has it's own feel and flavor. Hard to pinpoint where you should pick since a pool is your biggest concern except budget. Marathon is smack dab in the middle of the Keys which is great for checking out the island chain. Get your beach fill in Miami, the Keys don't have a lot of beaches and the rare one you find won't have accomodations on it for that budget.

Consider some of the 2 bedroom accomodations like Tranquility Bay - divide it and it's not bad per couple. Just looking and they have a 2bd 2 bath beachfront for less then $150 per couple if you book now for June. That's a great rate for that place. Point being - don't be turned off at the rates right up, look at what they really are.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
167 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Thanks for your message...thats really good to know.

I was under the impression that the Keys would be like the bahamas! I was expecting it to be a real beach holiday and a chill out for the last 3 days of the trip...would you say thats not the case? Is there any where else you would recommend instead, or shall we just spend a week in Miami and miss out the keys altogether do you think?

Thnaks again :)

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Absolutely make time for the Keys. It's an incredible place to chill out. Lots of warm bright blue water to enjoy, just not long sandy beaches. Google Sombrero Beach, Anne's Beach and Bahia Honda for images of what are beaches are like. I think the Keys are the best place for a nice chill out trip. You can can stay as busy or do nothing at all here. I would skip Orlando and focus on South FL!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

I agree with bluewater, the Keys are WONDERFUL and you couldn't ask for better relaxation, just don't expect the typical beach. I would definitely recommend the middle keys - we like the Layton area, but anywhere from Islamorada to Marathon is nice. Bahia Honda has been our best "beach" experience and I would also recommend Robbie's for feeding tarpon.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

The water is similar to the Bahamas and so is the weather. Great snorkeling, fishing, diving. Relaxation is what it's all about. The beaches are just smaller. There are not miles of them to walk on like other places in Florida but they are still decent. Bahia Honda and Sombrero are the 2 larger beaches in the upper / middle keys.

Miami has great beaches but is also more crowded. Major traffic, huge city, not really a relaxing place. More of a beaches, shopping, nite club type of city.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
167 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Thanks again :)

Ive checked out the Tranquility Bay the first post recommended and thats what we had in mind...I guess we want to do Orlando for Disney and Universal (i know its cheezy), but will definitey factor in the Keys as per my original itinery ideas...were going to drive and ive checked the distance and it takes only about 6 hours in total so with the break in Miami this should be fine.

Thanks so much for your advice...looking forward to booking our trip!

x

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

Well go all the way down then and see the southern most point and all that key west has to offer, It's such a fascinating experience if you enjoy a night out! And you are allowed to walk about on duval street with a drink in your hand soaking up live entertainment and people watching.As with all the other posters I agree don't miss the keys it a great place.

8. Re: 2 weeks...Orlando, Miami and the Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 13:16