We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next Key....

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Next Key....

We are having 5 nights in Key West and then think ot move up the Keys to see a bit more of what the Keys offer. Which Key would anyone suggest . Thanks

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
71 reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
55 reviews
from US$63.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
377 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Next Key....

Somewhere in the middle keys . . . Below Islamorada and before Marathon would be my personal choice. Layton is nice. It really depends on what YOU and YOUR family like to do, though. That area is very laid back and quiet, so if you are into nightlife, you'd probably hate it!!! I would choose that area because it is a reasonable drive from there to anywhere in the keys and it is an area that has incredible water views. I would also choose it for the exact same reason some would hate it - it is slow paced and relaxed.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next Key....

Depends what you wish to do. Key Largo is a good option, particularly for snorkelling, diving and a range of other, mainly ocean based, activities. That includes John Pennekamp Park.

Where do you plan to go after the Keys? Key Largo offers a chance to visit the Eastern side of the Everglades (about 40 miles/an hours drive from Key Largo).

Edited: 13 June 2011, 11:49
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next Key....

Layton sounds ideal I will look it up . the 2 of us in late 50s are meeting up with some friends from PA and treating them to a few days so just need a nice place good food and nice view Thanks a lot everyone

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next Key....

Islamorada would be central to the upper keys. On your way up or while in Key West you can make a day trip to Deer Key and even Bahia Honda to explore that area. As OP stated depends on what you want to do. However the Everglades are very hot and lots of bugs in summer.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Next Key....

Just so you know, Lime Tree Bay is one of the few places to stay in Layton and is very nice except for the TINY bathrooms! We would recommend it hands-down as long as we made the bathroom problem very clear to the person we were recommending to. It has a gorgeous view, nice staff, big/comfy hammocks, nice pool and hottub area, free kayak usage, and so much more. So, when you search Layton and LTB comes up, be aware of the small bathrooms when considering . . . Other than that, it is wonderful.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next Key....

Thank you for your email . The LTB looks great and a good price too.No problems with small bathroom as long as there is one

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Next Key....

We are now in a dilemma as it seems as if there is construction work going on around the Lime tree in a big way .Thanks anyway

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Next Key....

The Hampton Inn in Islamorada is very nice also.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Next Key....

Hampton Inn is a busy place and doesn't give that Keys feel. IMO. I do like Lime Tree - but if the construction isn't your thing, and I don't blame you - take a look at Conch Key Cottages.

10. Re: Next Key....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:19