We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Orlando to the Keys

UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Orlando to the Keys

Hi - can anyone advise on a good route to take from Orlando to the Keys? And suggested time it will take?

Thanks!

North Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Orlando to the Keys

Are you renting a car in Orlando? If so, ask the rental car company for driving instructions. My husband and I usually fly into Miami and after we get the rental car, we get on the Toll Road that takes us south to Florida City, which is where we pick up US1. Stay on US1 and you can’t miss the Keys!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,965 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Orlando to the Keys

I'd suggest getting on the Florida Turnpike in Orlando ( It's a toll road). That will take you all the way south to where it ends in Florida City, where you will be spilled out onto Route 1, which goes down through the Keys. After this you will be offered the opportunity to turn onto Card Sound Rd, a toll road- I would suggest you not do so and remain on Rt. 1. depending on where you are in Orlando, I would guesstmate about 4 hours to Florida City and about three hours from there to get all the way to Key West, unless you are not going that far. All dependent on traffic , of course.

North Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Orlando to the Keys

jotee73-

While I certainly don't disagree with your driving instructions, I would like to offer one thought. Last year on our way back, we did take Card Sound Road. While it is not a spectactular drive it was a treat. There is a place we found that we are going to stop at on our way down next Tuesday, called Alabama Jacks. What I like about it is that I thought it was more interesting than driving through all the mangrove before you get to Key Largo. But maybe that's just me....