We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rest Areas / Restroom stops on Overseas Highway?

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
914 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Rest Areas / Restroom stops on Overseas Highway?

My son and I will be making our first trip down the Overseas Highway at the end of the month.

I don't believe I see any rest areas on the maps I have been looking at. Is this correct? Assume our restroom availability is either at businesses or stopping at one of the state parks / beaches?

Are there any unusually long stretches without facilities that we need to be aware of? (One of these "last restroom for 20 miles" types?)

We plan to take a full day to get from our overnight stop at the Holiday Inn Key Largo down to Key West. Stopping at least at Islamorada for the Hurricane Monument / Pigeon Key - 7 mile bridge / Bahia Honda and probably a few more times.

Thanks.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rest Areas / Restroom stops on Overseas Highway?

These are the bathrooms I like.1-Island Grill-I like the unisex/commom area wash sink area.The food is great here too.2- Lorelei-outhouse type located in the parking lot.You can use this classic old school bathroom without even buying anything here.3- Worldwide sportsman-clean place.A surprisingly large amount of nice legs are in the store buying stuff too that you'll have to walk through to get to the bathrooms.4- Seven Mile grill.A fun stop.Love the waiter dude and the stare of the grill chef.5- Mangrove Mama's.I cant drive by this place without stopping in for a cold one out in the patio and using the bathroom.Theres more,but those are the fun ones for me.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rest Areas / Restroom stops on Overseas Highway?

Most businesses have a rest room you can use. The visitor centers have them. The one at Pigeon Key is in an old rail-road carriage with a portable rest room in the parking lot, but it is at least clean.

If you stop off at a state park you will have to pay an entry fee (which is fine if you will spend some time there, but maybe not if you just want to use the bathroom). Try to patronise the businesses....

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,634 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rest Areas / Restroom stops on Overseas Highway?

There are also a few fast food places where you can use their facilities. There really is no need for rest stops. This is a rural type road, 4 lane in some places and only 2 in most. You will find plenty of places you can stop without having to pay money to go into a state park to use the restroom. The longest area without many places to stop is at the very beginning of the keys, once you leave Florida City there is a long stretch between there and Key Largo unless you take Card Sound Road and stop at Alabama Jacks and the next long stretch is between Deer Key and Key West. Worldwide Sportsman as suggested in very nice & clean, no need to purchase anything to use the facilities. Nice place to stop and stretch and look around. Depending on time of day you will probably find someplace you would want to stop and get a cold drink or lunch. Check out Sparkys in Marathon / Key colony Beach for a good lunch.

4. Re: Rest Areas / Restroom stops on Overseas Highway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:17