We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys ?

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Keys ?

Hi, We will be staying in Florida City after the Nascar race in Nov. We were planning on a trip to the keys on the Monday the day after. We are actually staying in Pompano for the rest of the week so would have a long drive back there after the visit to the keys. sorry so long. But wanted to know if is a must do to go as far as Key West or is there plenty to see in other areas of the Keys..What is the biggest actraction to Key West? We also wanted to make a stop first in Key Largo. Any suggestion on were to get a good Breakfast and maybe a Yummy Bloody Mary not made from a mix. :) thank you

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keys ?

I think everyone needs to experience Key West once. Having said that, once was enough for us! We prefer the middle keys over Key West any day, and so if you don't have much time, I think you would enjoy going part of the way down and saving KW for another day. I would make sure to go a little past Islamorada . . . that's where the scenery really opens up and the beauty of the keys begins!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keys ?

One day is not much time as the keys are 100 miles long. I would have suggested staying in Key Largo after the race but everything may already be booked up. I would go at least to Bahia Honda State Park which is just on the other side of the 7 mile bridge. I would save Key West for a time when you can spend a few days in the keys. Especially if you are wanting to make stops elsewhere along the way. If you were doing an overnight I would say go for it.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Keys ?

Thank you both for your advice. We will have to maybe rethink other options for are stay in Florida and enjoy the Ft Lauderdale and Pompano area were we have our Condo for the week.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keys ?

My favorite thing about the Keys are the off the beaten path places, sometimes a little odd, and definitely different than anywhere else in the U.S. Those places -and the "unique" locals of the islands- helped inspire my work of fiction "Tropical Windfall" (young couple finds a bag of cash off Key West..) amazon.com/Tropical-Windfall-Richard-Wicklif…

Edited: 12 October 2012, 15:40
5. Re: Keys ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:17