Wanted to get your suggestions on a Keys itinerary for first-timers. Arriving in FLL at 2pm on Saturday, December 8, and leaving on Tuesday, December 11 around 2pm.
I was thinking of 2 nights in Key West and 1 night somewhere along the way. In general, we like to enjoy the scenery while driving and see sites along the way. What are your thoughts about:
1. Arrive and drive down to Key West. Stay for Saturday and Sunday nights.
- Should we stop anywhere along the way or save that for the way back (on Monday)?
- Suggestions on where to stay? We are open to B&Bs and hotels; max. of $200/night if possible. Near beach and/or with pool. Free parking would be nice as well. Would be nice to walk to outdoor activities/sites/nightlife.
2. Leave on Monday for the drive back toward FLL.
- Suggested stops/sites along the way?
3. Head back to FLL on Tuesday morning and arrive there around noon.
4. Miscellaneous questions:
- We are both vegetarian. Any veggie-friendly restaurant suggestions?
- Do you recommend getting a pass for tolls from the car rental agency? (I have yet to browse the previous forums on this topic.)
Thanks in advance!