We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

Hi all,

Wanted to get your suggestions on a Keys itinerary for first-timers. Arriving in FLL at 2pm on Saturday, December 8, and leaving on Tuesday, December 11 around 2pm.

I was thinking of 2 nights in Key West and 1 night somewhere along the way. In general, we like to enjoy the scenery while driving and see sites along the way. What are your thoughts about:

1. Arrive and drive down to Key West. Stay for Saturday and Sunday nights.

- Should we stop anywhere along the way or save that for the way back (on Monday)?

- Suggestions on where to stay? We are open to B&Bs and hotels; max. of $200/night if possible. Near beach and/or with pool. Free parking would be nice as well. Would be nice to walk to outdoor activities/sites/nightlife.

2. Leave on Monday for the drive back toward FLL.

- Suggested stops/sites along the way?

- Should we spend the night in Islamorada/Marathon/Key Largo? We would like somewhere that we can have a casual dinner and night out and perhaps see some sites in the morning.

3. Head back to FLL on Tuesday morning and arrive there around noon.

4. Miscellaneous questions:

- We are both vegetarian. Any veggie-friendly restaurant suggestions?

- Do you recommend getting a pass for tolls from the car rental agency? (I have yet to browse the previous forums on this topic.)

Thanks in advance!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,160 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

Your budget and requirements for Key West are unrealistic, and many of the B & Bs have a three-night min, and Key West is a big weekend getaway location so finding something now for next weekend would be tough.

Someone just mentioned getting a room at the Ocean Key Resort which is in a great location but charges for parking and will prob be over $200 / night. You might try the La Concha Hotel right on Duval, though.

hth

Pjk

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

There seems to be plenty of availability . Check lighthouse court, Truman hotel, heron house and many others. That is not one of the busiest weekends here. I would stay 2 nights in Key West and one in Islamorada.

In Key West, The Cafe is a great vegetarian option.

conn
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

Try the Palms hotel/B & B. Reasonable relatively close to downtown. I agree with SDT 2 days KW, 1 in Islamorada.I used Hertz and their toll pass option, it was not real expensive and very convenient.

Edited: 01 December 2012, 03:14
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

We recently stayed at Silver Palm and Best Western Hibiscus and both are in your budget, both are very clean and the staff were friendly. Key Lime Inn is another go to place for us and last time we were there rates were well under$200

Hampstead, London
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

I really like Key Largo and the Rock Reef Resort is great. Reasonably priced and very laid back. Would make a good stop-off

6. Re: Keys Itinerary - 3 Days/3 Nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 13:16