We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in January?

toronto, on
Level Contributor
378 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in January?

My husband and I are planning to drive to the Keys from Fort Lauderdale in January. we have never been and know very little about this destination. We like to roam quaint towns, eat a nice meal, and relax. We are in our late 50's. Any suggestions where to spend our 2 nights? We would like to stay in the low $200 range.

Thanks

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,005 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in January?

Start checking out Islamorada and Marathon/Key Colony Beach.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in January?

Also check on Key West. It's more 'lively' with a lot of night life and bars. The Upper and Middle Keys are maybe more what you are after? They Keys are over 100 miles long so how far do you want to drive down?

Plan your route from Ft. Lauderdale to Florida City which is the 'gateway to the Keys'. Be aware of the cashless tolls on the Turnpike and around Miami. US1 to Florida City can be very slow so best avoided (you will need to use it through the Keys though).

conn
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in January?

My wife and I, both in our mid 50's, have been to Islamorada (May) and Key West (September). We enjoyed the more laid back feel of the middle keys (Marathon and Big Pine), but love the activity and fun of Key West. Big Pine is about as quaint as Keys towns get (IMHO). Key West can fill the bill if you stay away from "downtown Duval" and explore the more subdued areas of KW. If your only coming down for 2 nights a trip out to KW may eat up time you could spend exploring closer to FLL. There is a new Holiday Inn in Marathon that has good reviews with a reasonable price.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 13:48
4. Re: 2 nights in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 05:16