We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

I'm in the process of planning a spring vaca for me and my fiance...likely towards the end of April. The Keys have always been on my list although neither of us have ever been. We enjoy eating good food...especially seafood, wine and beer of course, live music and some relaxing time as well. I'm wondering if the Keys experts on here would recommend doing a full week in Key West or perhaps spending time in some of the other spots in the Keys as well. We will have a car regardless so driving is not a real issue. Would like a nice blend of nightlife/activities with some downtime. My other option is to to the Riviera Maya again, but I've been there half a dozen times.

thanks!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

Only a week for Key West? That's too bad. :^)

Key West has the food and drink that you mentioned but it has a lot of other activities too, like snorkeling, kayaking, exploring the island, the Mel Fisher Museum, Shipwreck Historeum, Hemingway House, the Truman Little White House, Ft. Zachary Taylon, Eco Discovery Museum, the lighthouse......you get the picture. Since you will have a car, you can spend some time at Bahia Honda State Park and do another day trip to the Dolphin Research Center and the Turtle Hospital (that can be a full day with those two stops). Lots of places to eat in Key West but you might want to check out some of the lesser known places too.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

The Riveria Maya has much nicer beaches so keep that in mind. Our beaches are not very good in The Keys.

To answer your question, I would spend at least 2 nights in the Middle Keys. They have a different feel and are less commercial then Key West. They offer nice State Parks, good restaurants and relatively more affordable water excursions then you will find in Key West.

Key West had the nightlife, live music, and a historic district to explore.

I think to really see The Keys you should spend time in both areas. Assuming you have 7 nights, if it were me, I would spend 3 nights in The Middle Keys and 4 nights in Key West

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

great suggestions, much appreciated!

JMS

Washington
Level Contributor
521 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

If we are coming for a week or longer we split our trip up (less than a week we just stay in Key West). We spend the last three days recuperation/lounging, We have been to Marathon, Key Largo, Key Colony Beach, Islamorado and Key Largo and liked all of them There is great food in all of the locations and some live music too (usually on weekends).

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

I agree with spending part of your time in the middle keys and part in Key West. They are two VERY different areas and there is something to be said about both! We personally prefer the quiet, laid back feel of the middle keys, but from your description; you may find Key West to be more to your liking. If you have never been to the keys, I would definitely recommend choosing them over Riviera Maya, with the understanding that the beaches are probably not what you are accoustomed to (the keys ARE very tropical and beautiful, though).

6. Re: Keys for a week...looking for expert suggestions :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 05:17