We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish and Lodge

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Fish and Lodge

I'm intending to take one of my sons to the Keys in June 2013 and we're trying to find the best place to stay and fish.

Somewhere like Bud n Mary's on Islamorada looks OK - where you can rent your own self contained accomodation and take daily boat fishing trips either offshore or backcountry.

Does anyone have recommendations - best fishing and nice accomodation?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish and Lodge

What type of fishing do u want? How many days . Once I know that I cd give u my best advice. What sort of accom do you need?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish and Lodge

Hi Martin

I'm intending on staying out there for a week and fishing probably 5 days. For the majority I'm looking to fish inshore or back country for Tarpon, Jacks, Bonefish and Permit if around. Sharks too if possible.

One or maybe two days offshore (if i's not too bumpy) for Wahoo, Dolphin etc.

Guided boat is what I'd be after.

As for accomodation, I'm getting long in the tooth and like my creature comforts, so something decent, near the water would be good. As I mentioned, Bud n Mary's at Islamorada seems to offer most if not all of that but I'm just trying to find out if there are other options and whether B&Ms gets good reviews.

Thanks for your offer of advise - I look forward to hearing from you.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish and Lodge

I've stayed at Bud N Mary's. While acceptable lodging, I wouldn't call the room that I stayed in more than a 3 star accommodation by any means.

It does have quite a few charter boats near by and some pretty good restaurants.

I really like Key Colony Beach. You can find a home to rent for what you'll pay for a room at a hotel, and you'll have some privacy, and be able to cook your own meals if you want.

Key Colony Beach has several very good charter boats (Captain Jason Long on the Best Bet for one), and one of my favorite restaurants in the keys - Sparky's Landing rtght there.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,002 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish and Lodge

How old are your sons? If younger then I would also vote for Key Colony Beach as it has a playground, private beach, pool, game room, etc. If you really want to be in Islamorada I would also look at Coral Bay or altho more expensive Cheeca Lodge is nice.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish and Lodge

Bud and Marys is a great place to visit and have a look around - they have some great guides and you will enjoy (as I assume you are fisherman) looking around the shop at the pics of celebs who have fished from Bud and Marys and also some of the catches. Indeed if you are looking for a trip they will set you up no prob - Richard Stanzywic (spelling may be wrong - is a great guide ) I don't think you would necessarily want to stay there though. If it was me - I will come back to that later...

Fishing with top guides is not a cheap affair - there's very little between most guides - but what you want is someone who is on the water as a full time pro - especially if in the back country. Obviously this is done on a very small boat with max 3 people. For me my guide is always Captain Barry Hoffman who tends to fish out of tavernier creek marina - but not always. He is excellent (see trip advisor - you will see mine and others reports) Even if you don't fish with him - have a look at www.flatsguide.com as it is a superb resource for fishermen / women who want to fish the backcountry of florida bay - you can familiarise yourself with info on species, approaches, do's don'ts etc. If you are looking for backcountry I will guarantee you will enjoy his company , will learn, and he will do his best to give you what you want. I'm not a keen blue water guy myself so I can declare that I don't want to hire a guy and spend vast sums on fishing alone (very expensive - I look to split a trip) so there may be 4 of you going out and you split the cost and rotate the rods - you will all be fishing most of the time. The best at this for me are to be found at Robbies Marina - look it up on the internet and facebook / twitter and follow it for a while - you will get to know the boats / captains and how the system works. Robbies is a great place to visit as well - feed the Tarpon, eat, some nice keys type shops, kayaking and fishing. Another good place to have a look at is the world wide Angler store in Islamorada - great for people who love fishing tackle - it has a majestic collection, Replica of Hemingway boat - great restaurant and bar and a fleet of boats / captains - They are not difficult to find - good ones are. A bit of time on the web will enable you to get a feel for what's on offer the price / options / locations / opportunities for fish species. Once you have decided that you can then look for accommodations. I tend to look for decent value and I personally prefer south Largo - North Islamorada but that is just personal- there's plenty of great places. I often stay at Ocean Pointe suites - these are Condo's 11 or 2 beds that sleep 4 - 6 people. Sits in lovely grounds, has everything you need TV's cooker, fridge, oven, micro, washer, dryer etc - bar, pool, kayaks, marina, (you can fish here too and out front if you don't mind wading thro mangrove) It's in the virgin Brochure - For more upmarket I can recommend Marriott Key Largo - Hilton Largo Grande - Hampton Inn - all of which are bay side.I have stayed in all of them - I prefer Marriott - or Hampton Inn . I hope that this gives you something to follow up on - it's certainly worth investing time on the net to check up on before hand. Junes a good time to go - Tarpon still around and it's not the middle of August hot.Hope it helps

Martin

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish and Lodge

Thanks everyone - that's more advise and information than I could have hoped for.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish and Lodge

Make sure you let us know what you did and report back on your fishing experiences - It will be awesome!

M

8. Re: Fish and Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 06:17