We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No reservations

New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
No reservations

Planning a trip from Ft. lauderdale to Key West - Wednesday-Wednesday. 2nd week in April. Initial thoughts were drive & explore, then decide on a place to stay day by day. Except for Key West. Thought we should probably make a hotel reservation for the last 3 days in Key West. 4 Adults, needing either 2 rooms or two bed/2bath accomodations. Not sure when we will end up where or where we want to stay other than Key West and Islamorada. Is it a good idea to be that open with our plans or could we end up in kind of a mess with no place to stay but our car? Have been scouring the "Do not Miss" and "Road Trip itinerary" threads and am a bit overwhelmed. Most just show stops along the way, not places to stay on the way down. Any suggestions appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No reservations

Reserve Key West ahead of time. You could find vacancies from Key Largo to Marathon without a problem I would say. I would pick one place and stay there since it is not a long drive and you can use that one place as home base to see the upper and middle keys before going to Key West. I just wouldn't want to keep packing up every day unless I had to.

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No reservations

Let your fingers do the walking/driving. Why would you want to go from place to place searching for one that had a vacancy and fit your budget. The upper Keys isn't such a big place that you couldn't explore it from a base that you select before you get there.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No reservations

I would not try to go anywhere in the Keys without reservation that time of year. It's still busy season around here.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No reservations

No no - it's a great idea to spend your valuable vacation time driving around town looking at all kinds of different spots, hoping that there is a room available

Why would you want to do it now, online, in the comfort of your home, knowing full well that when you get to where you are going, you'll have a room ready to go?

i'd wait.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No reservations

Ha. Well I've done it both ways, in high season Feb/March. It does have the advantage of being able to actually see what you are getting.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No reservations

buffetguy strikes again . . . always a master at verbal irony!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No reservations

BTW, I agree with most of the posts above - Reserve your rooms ahead of time so that you can actually enjoy your vacation and not waste a moment!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No reservations

I'd reserve now - I'm checking for the 3rd weekend in April for somewhere between FLL & Key West and many of the places I was considering are booked already.....just another opinion.....(I'm thinking Contienetal Inn) for our Friday night stay before hitting Key West

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No reservations

You're right you're right. Just thought it sounded so exciting to just wing it & go without over evaluating every hotel and planning every day. So wanted to just have a spontaneous trip! But you all are right! Guess in the back of my mind I kinda knew it...probably why I asked. Thanks for all your input. Anyone have hotel recommendations for the first leg, maybe staying somewhere other than Islamorada. Mid range. Not as expensive as Cheeca but not low budget either. Trying to decide between Southernmost on the Beach & Pier House for Key West. Many Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No reservations

I think Buffettguy is being a "little " sarcastic with his his reply not really using irony but then again it's probably both . I do not know BG from Adam but he's full of it, sarcasm that is. He probably wears a shirt that reads " Sarcasm is just one of my better qualities " :) With 6,000 + posts ,he probably has been around since the keys seceded so I would heed his advice, wait ,I meant don't heed his advice.

If you feel like being a little adventurous, then just travel on a whim and let the chips fall where they may. There is a guy who is backpacking through the keys and looking for campgrounds or even front or back YARDS to crash ! Talk about adventurous ! Good luck and enjoy the drive. It's a nice one.