We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Keys?

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
513 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Keys?

Thinking of planning a trip in the Keys area for April or May. Just hubs and I, 31-30 years old. No kids. Want great eats, sights, maybe go fishing, some activites, and great beaches and would love a super awesome resort to stay at or something unique. Any suggestions? Never been and really confused about all the towns to pick from? Was thinking of going for Marathon? Need opinions! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

I like Islamorada as it has lots of restaurants but isn't a big town like Marathon. Check out Casa Marina.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,818 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

not sure of your budget, but this place looks interesting...

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
513 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

Yeah I checked that place out and was a little too high for us! 10,000 for 4 nights....doubt it! Haha

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

If you decide on Islamorada - check out The Moorings.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
michigan
Level Contributor
428 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

What's your budget? We have stayed in Marathon and Key West and loved them both!

In Marathon we went fishing, kayaked under the 7 Mile Bridge, spent a day at Bahia Honda, went snorkeling with Deep Blue Dive and Strike Zone (in the Lower Keys) The food choices are excellent there...with the only downside being you must drive almost everywhere....so a place that you really like (great pool and/or beach) is essential!

In Key West we loved walking and biking everywhere! There is a lot of history and charm! The food is wonderful! The downside is that the snorkeling is not as good as in the upper Keys (IMO) There are lots of cool excursions (kayak, sail, snorkel, SUP, Dry Tortugas, ghost tour, and more)...but everything costs more and there are more people!

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Lower Keys
Lower Keys
Florida Keys, FL
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

I personally like Marathon because then it is an easy hour drive either up or down the keys to see other places.

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

If you're looking for nightlife, easy walkability (is that a word?), and lots of people watching . . . Go to Key West! If you only care about snorkeling, Key Largo is probably best.

However, if those things are not high on your list, my vote is always Islamorada to Marathon. I LOVE that area of the keys - it is so laid back and peaceful. Also, as chorusguurl mentioned, it is an easy drive from there to the other keys. I also agree that Bahia Honda is the best beach in the keys. If you stay in Islamorada or Marathon (or anywhere in between), you are not too far from BH. Check out Lime Tree Bay - great hotel/resort with a very reasonable price!

Mentioned in this post
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Lime Tree Bay Resort
1,472 Reviews
Long Key, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Connecticut
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

We like Key West - it is the best of all worlds! Endless activities, great food choices, awesome nightlife..... Can be as quiet or rowdy as you want! We love the Pier House - great location, private beach, spa, restaurant, 3 bars (classic to classy). Great times!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
9. Re: Where to stay in Keys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 06:18