We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Individual boats going to Dry Tortugas

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Individual boats going to Dry Tortugas

I have never seen this question addressed on the site before, but I am SURE many have considered/done this . . . How reasonable would it be to take your own boat (for a fairly experienced boater) to the Dry Tortugas for the day? How long would it take to get there and what obstacles would we need to consider IF we were to ever consider the possibility? I am scared I am going to get someone giving me an OBVIOUS reason why it isn't done and I am going to feel silly asking the question, but I am very curious! We own our own boat and spend a lot of time in Marco Island and the Keys over the summer boating, but I have never even thought about this possibility until now. Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Individual boats going to Dry Tortugas

though never as a day trip, my friends have done it. The specifics as to length of time etc. only you can answer, no one on a forum will have the first hand knowledge of your boat, its cruising speeds etc. Obviously your boat will need to have the range to make the trip there and back as there's no fuel on the island, reliable two way communications (VHF or satellite) You should also be prepared to pay dock and park fee's in cash once you arrive....

2. Re: Individual boats going to Dry Tortugas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 04:15