We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

nj
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

We are planning to fly into FLL either Thursday night or Friday Night - and fly out Sunday Night.

Do you think this is enough time to drive down the Keys and back on time to fly out? We dont mind island hopping as we drive there and back, but we also want to make sure were not too rushed and still get to have a nice time. We dont mind staying on the move as long as we can get in activities like snorkeling an other water activites.. is this doable or are we cutting it close and not worth rushing?

Thanks!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

It's a 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive if you don't stop.

Last week I post 25 stops and another 25 restaurants.

If you make these stops, then the weekend won't be enough.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

We often go to FLL for just a day for activities and such. Easy drive and very doable. To the middle Keys it's about a 2.5 hr drive from FLL without stops. Add another hour for KW.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 19:50
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

def doable just make sure you plan out your stops and have a backup plan in case something doesnt work out...

nj
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

Thanks for your responses. What are the top 3-5 absolute MUST-DO stops if we were to drive all the way to KW and back in 2-3 days?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

Give us some ideas of likes/dislikes, until then may I suggest:

Stop and feed the Tarpon at Robbie's: http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

grab a picnic lunch and eat it at Anne's Beach: floridakeystreasures.com/Beaches/annesbeach.…

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

Anne's is okay, but we like Bahia Honda SOO much better. I would recommend a stop there. I DEFINITELY agree that Robbie's is a must!! I would try to get a flight in on Thursday night so that you will be able to enjoy one more full day.:)

7. Re: Is a weekend enough for Keys road trip from FLL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:17