We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Description Florida Keys

Detroit, Michigan
8 posts
Save Topic
Description Florida Keys

I am starting to plan a spring vacation to the Florida Keys but am confused about all of the different areas to stay. Going on the trip will be myself, husband, and three daughters, age 14, 11 and 7. We would like to go snorkeling, play at the beach, see dolphins, and relax. I like to stay in an area that is close to shopping, restaurants, and fun family activities (busy but not a big city.) Can you please explain what the different areas (Key Largo, Islamadora, Marathon, Key West) are like? I can't figure out which would be best suited for our family. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,736 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Description Florida Keys

We have always choosen either Marathon or Islamorada because they are the middle section of the keys. None of the keys are actually big cities but Key West has more in one place including lots or bars and restaurants all on Duval Street (google Live Cams for Key West and you will see some views of the city). Key Largo has John Pennykamp park which is great for snorkeling and a few shops. Hawks Cay is in between Marathon and Islamorada and has dolphins on site. However there is nothing else really close in walking distance. Marathon is closer to the larger beaches in the keys. (Bahia Honda & Sombrero Beaches are nice). Its also closer for a daytrip to Key West.

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Description Florida Keys

Amy, being from the Detroit area myself and having had children in that same age group and have had stayed throughout all the Keys we always found ourselfs wanting to stay in Islamorada. Always seemed like the nicest area of all the Keys. Marathons been having some bad press lately so I would avoid there.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Description Florida Keys

Which bad press, Glide?

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Description Florida Keys

I read today they had to air lift someone out that was severly beaten with a golf club. Shootings, stabbings, firebombing a truck while someone is sleeping in it. Seems like no one wants to play nice there anymore.

Detroit, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Description Florida Keys

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have to admit the bad press has me a little concerned. Is Islamorada a safe area? Are there restaurants and shops nearby?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Description Florida Keys

Like any place in the world, stay away from the bad places and you're fine.

The so called "incidences" and the following "bad press" is HARDLY normal here. Yes the things are really bad, but bad things happen everywhere. I've NEVER - EVER been threatened, or even remotely concerned for my safety.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Description Florida Keys

I think the concern regarding Marathon is being overstated. I have never felt threatened or unsafe in any way. Most crime is domestic related and not effecting tourists. Today's Citizen had a story about a stabbing at Higgs Beach. It was 2 locals with a history of fights. I would not let that stop me from coming to Key West.

Islamorada is safe as well and has many great restaurants and some shops along US 1.

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Description Florida Keys

These instances have been domestic and or drug related. With the exception of the truck fire and that was alcohol related in the wee hours of the morning. I feel extremely safe here and always have.

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Description Florida Keys

Yes Islamorada is very safe and there are plenty of shops, restaurants and attractions there.

Tavernier, Florida...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Description Florida Keys

We live between Islamorada and Key Largo, the diving and snorkeling are great up there, there are plenty of shops / places to go but Marathon has plenty as well. No matter where you stay you can take day trips, no where in the Keys is too far away.

As stated above, don't rule out Marathon based off the news, I work for the Sheriff's Office and while there have been several incidents lately as stated above most of them have been domestic / drunken / homeless or a combination of the 3. I never feel unsafe taking my kids anywhere. The total number of major crimes we have had so far this year are probably less than what has occoured this week in Miami-Dade, it is easy to take things out of context. Take the same precautions you would take in your normal day to day life-lock the car, stay in well lit areas, etc. etc. etc. and you will be fine here-you will love it!

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL