We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hammock Camping the Keys

Howell, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
Hammock Camping the Keys

Hello. I'm planning on spending probably three weeks next month hammock camping (somewhere) in the keys. This is completely spur of the moment, work is super slow, so I'm seizing my opportunity. I live in NJ but will be visiting my parents in Wilmington, NC for Christmas for a few days, then flying out of there. I'm trying to figure out whether I should fly in to Miami or Key West. If Miami then I'll need to either take a shuttle (I like the price), or rent a car. If I rent a car then I'll probably end up keeping it for the duration of my trip and that will end up being quite pricey. I'm basically buying a one way ticket and staying until my money runs out, so the less I spend the longer I can stay. But I'm worried that if I don't have a car getting around might be difficult. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a bicycle but I'm not a serious cyclist by any means.

I've never been further south than Ft. Lauderdale so I could really use some advice on what my best options are. My goals are warmth, fishing (shore but I might do a charter and definitely want to kayak fish), snorkeling, with a bit of city life mixed in if possible. I'm open to any of the islands and would actually prefer to check out at least 2-3 different ones.

Thanks for the help!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hammock Camping the Keys

I would fly directly into Key West. From there you can rent a bike or a scooter to get around on when needed. However the camping end of things will be more difficult as most campgrounds book almost a year in advance for the winter months. You might get lucky and find somewhere that has had a cancellation. When you are ready to leave Key West then rent the car for the last few days in the keys as that area is much more spread out. Most of the campgrounds in the middle and upper keys are not close to a lot of things. January is tourist season in the keys so prices will be up. Last leg of trip try Key Largo, John Pennykamp park is a good campground but again, may already be booked. You can get to a lot of things there on a bike.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,005 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hammock Camping the Keys

Hammock Camping, if you aren't in a proper camping area - will easily get you a room at the Stock Island Hilton. Campgrounds book up months and months in advance with waiting lists.

Howell, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hammock Camping the Keys

Yeah, I was only joking about going into "the bush." I called two places today and they have availability but not until into January. So I'll have a few days to figure out what to do. Considering my options now. It's really all going to come down to finances. Ex wife decided to take all of our important documents with her, along with the title to my now totaled motorcycle which I need in order to get the $4500 I was going to use to partially fund this trip. And conveniently, she's in Mexico with her new guy and phone off. I may be breaking in... :)

4. Re: Hammock Camping the Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 05:18