We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new a good starting point

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Save Topic
new a good starting point

I plan to travel the Keys in mid-may and I need a good starting point for planning my trip. Can you send me a link to a good starting point? a guide book? I plan to fly into MIA and will travel for 5 full days. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,121 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new a good starting point

Some idea of your budget, likes/dislikes would help with suggestions.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new a good starting point

Most books will be outdated. This site has a lot of up to date information about food, lodging, things to do, etc. At the top of this page, in green, there is a drop down list with tons of info as well the upper right has more good topics under "Top questions about Florida Keys". That's a good start, and I'm sure that will generate more questions which I hope we can answer.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new a good starting point

I apologise in advance, because this is not a flip answer.

There's only one road between Miami and Key West -- so it's not a matter of finding a starting point (as you'll start in Miami) -- it's a matter of where you'll stop and for how long.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new a good starting point

I think you are already at the best starting point, right here on Trip advisor. As stated above look at the top questions, read back thru forum posts, make sure you look at posts about which rental cars to use and cashless tolls. You will also find some of that info on the Miami forums. You will need to decide if you want a couple nights in Key west and 3 nights middle or upper keys to get the best of both worlds. There are 4 major keys to choose from with smaller ones in between.

You can easily make it to Key West on the first day, get an early start to allow for a few stops on the way down. Check out the Key West forums for info on what to see & do there. There are some other web sites with Keys info, you can just google Florida Keys and you will find plenty. There are a couple of guide books suggested somewhere on the is forum, I would pick something that would tell you more about the history of the keys.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new a good starting point

I like Joy Williams guide to the keys. It is, as noted, a little dated so check current reviews for hotels and the like but it gives a really good sense of the place.

6. Re: new a good starting point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:20