We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too hot in April without AC?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Too hot in April without AC?

Hi

Just made reservations, then found out that my host keeps her AC at 78, and she says it's 77 there now, at 11 at night. I'm fine in the daytime, but I find it hard to sleep at more than 70. Are you guys all OK sleeping without AC or should I cancel? (I'll lose about $200.) Also, I was planning to snorkel, but am reading that some of you think the water is too cold in April. Thoughts?

Thanks

Karen

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

There are several things that come to mine:

1) with about 1/2 the information that we need to make the decision, it's tough

2) Why would how WE sleep make any difference to you and your decision

3) The winter water temps of the Atlantic are still warmer that the summer water temps of the Pacific.

4) If you you get there, go into the water. If you find that the water is too cold, don't go, or rent a wet suit.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

Since I set my a/c at 78 on the rare occasions I turn it on, I'd be fine. Sounds like you don't have the same sleep requirements as I do.

Really, this is something only you can decide.

I'd be fine, you'll probably be hot.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

After being in the sun all day you may find it will feel colder than normal and you won't need 70 degrees. However I keep my air at home on 75 to 78 during the day but at night we crank it down to around 72. IMHO 77 is to warm. When we go to the keys my husband puts the air on frozen and keeps it there the whole week. Perhaps your host will compromise and turn it a little cooler for you if you feel you really need it.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

Thanks for your replies. I guess I was hoping that by some quirk of environment 78 wouldn't feel that hot. I've been hiking in Utah when it was over 90 and been comfortable. And since our water temperature here seldom gets above 63, I thought 78 degree water would feel like a bath tub. I have the opposite problem in Berkeley trying to keep the gas bills down by keeping the house heated to 59 at night, 64 during the day.

Karen

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

We have a lot of people who come here from the north and think nothing of jumping right in. My cousin from Chicago comes in January every year and loves it. Its a matter of what you are used to. If you swim a lot where you are from then you might not mind the water temp. If not as suggested, rent a wet suit.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,211 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

The humidity is what is bad. Lived here for many years as a kid with no AC, and I'm sooooo happy to have it now. We do keep it at 78 during the day - but at night it goes down. At least with the AC on, it will cut down that humidity and keep it dryer.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

You know the old saying - it's not the heat, it's the humidity? That's very true in Key West, as the air out of the sun with a breeze feels completely different from humid, non-breezy sun air, even in the same temperature.

In April, it can be warm, but it's not one of the more humid months. Not that is isn't possible, but a non-humid 78 with a lazy ceiling fan or a breeze through an open window is delightful for my brand of sleeping! With the addition of ear plugs to help with any chicken/leaf blower/garbage truck noises.....

8. Re: Too hot in April without AC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:20