We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations

Cleveland
1 post
Save Topic
Accommodations

My husband and I are planning a quiet getaway to Amelia Island in late April and we're wondering about other places to stay besides the Ritz. Has anyone heard of the Surf and Racquet Club?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations

I have not heard of the Surf and Racquet Club, but my neighbor recently stayed at he Plantation and highly recommended it. We are going to stay there Mid-March.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations

We stay at Amelia Surf & Racquet every July. It's a nice place,each of the condos are furnished differently. I like having a kitchen so that we can eat in. Have you checked the reviews?

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations

We have had good luck renting condos on the beach using vrbo. Have never stayed at the place you are asking about though.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations

If you end up using VRBO (great site by the way) to book a place, be advised that Summer Beach condos vary greatly in location. We ended up off the beach under a canopy of big trees. This meant that the morning sun didn't provide enough light each morning and we had to truck all the beach stuff about 500 yards each day.

If you can't see pictures of the place, it should tell you something.

We did rent a place the next year at the 900 block of Fletcher Ave that was right on the beach. Try a VRBO search for that street and make sure the house number is even (the odd numbers put the street between you and the beach).

US/EU
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations

The Surf and Raquest felt cramped on the inside, hard to explain why. Really like the grounds but not the unit.

We stayed at a 3-bedroom at Amelia by the Sea in unit 445. This unit was fantastic, completely remodeled and decorated to the hilt in a beach theme. A 16 foot sliding glass door to the balcony overlooking the ocean really keeps us coming back. However, be careful the units vary quite a bit - and that is for all properties on the Island. They have a 400 ft fishing pier that we took advantage of. Good pool, nice people.

Best deal was walking across the street to The Surf. What a great place, great music, decent food, no worries.

This is nothing like the Ritz. We go to Amelia almost every year and found the Ritz to be wonderful but a bit too well, ritzy. AIP is also very nice but we aren't big golfers and it seemed like a convention resort property so we haven't been back there either.

6. Re: Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:19