We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

We'll be at the Hampton Inn on Sadler Road in late June 2010. I keep seeing that the north end of the island is best for sharks teeth. Will we find any at the beach close to the Hampton Inn? Also, are the teeth found in the water or do they make it up on the beach? I'm a complete newbie with regard to looking for sharks teeth and anything about Amelia Island as this is my first trip there.

Thanks in advance!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

I have never been to AI, but I am an experienced Sharks tooth hunter lol.

First started looking for them 40 yrs ago in Garden city SC, now l look for them on my local manasota key beaches ;-)

I find many just lying in the sand. You just walk and look and eventually they will 'catch' your eye- you get a feel for it. They are usually black, but can be grey or brown. Just look for vaguely triangular shapes in the sand. You can fid them where the waves break, but you gotta be fast to get them before they wave does. Sometimes I find small ones next to me just sitting in my beach chair!!

Some like looking for bigger ones with metal baskets on sticks( you can find them in lcoal stores- even my walmart has them). They take them into the surf and dig in shell piles and bring back to shore to sort thru. I haven't had great success this way my self.

Good luck and have fun!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

Thanks for the tips. I have a couple of those nets on poles that we bought for looking for shells when on Sanibel Island in 2008. I'll bring them along.

Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

The best "toother" (bar none) on AI is Steve, a barista at the kofe hous. He's a little quirky personality-wise, but he knows the best places and has been known to even go along to help/demo, especially showing kids how to find teeth. He knows his stuff, highly recommend him.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

We find them all over the island, including at Seaside Park beach (which is the beach near the Hampton Inn). I would recommend trying to go at low tide - you will have more area to search, and more shell lines visible. We have luck looking in shell lines (stretches of sands with shells accumulated together). It's easier for me personally to spot them in the sun, so I try to stand where my shadow won't cast onto the area I'm searching. Keep an eye out for grays and blacks in triangular shapes. Enjoy it, but beware that it can be addictive. I can't walk the beach anymore hardly without constantly looking down for "treasures"

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

I have a jar here from when I was a kid in SC, and now a jar in florida at my house.

Very adductive lol. And it may be genetic as 2 of my 3 boys are now into it too ;-)

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

Some good tips here and everyone has their special technique and "best" place. The larger teeth are generally found on the north end but that is largely due to the spoils from the dredging of the St. Mary's Channel for the submarines being placed up on the north end and then spread southward. A beach renourishment project was done a couple of years ago all the way down to Seaside Park (closest access point for the Sadler Hampton Inn) so there are plenty of areas to choose from.

My tip is to go just after the peak high tide when the tide is starting to go out. That way the next wave is not likely to go higher than the previous wave and wash away the shark's tooth you just spotted but didnt' get to. I have also found it easier to spot the shark's teeth when a wave has just passed over and wet it as they will often give off a slightly different reflection than the small broken shells. For that reason, you don't want the area you are examining to be in your own shadow.

While some large sharks teeth are occassionaly discovered (a friend who walks the north beach regularly has one as big as your hand) most are the size of your thumbnail so you have to have a keen eye. Best way to distinguish a sharks tooth from one of the black shell fragments polished by the sand is try to break off an edge with your fingers. A real sharks tooth is almost impossible to break off.

Hope you enjoy your visit and happy hunting!

brooklyn, mi
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

Hi- thanks for all the info. However, I am from Michigan and want to take my grandson hunting for shark teeth, but I don't know anything about the meaning of high and low tides mentioned in these various posts. Can someone clarify this for me as to what time of day that would be in Fernandina Beach. Someone said to be there early? I have no idea of their concept of early is the same as mine. Thanks ahead of time! Grandma Z

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

Tides are the 'rise and fall' of sea levels due to various reasons (moon phase, Earth's gravitational pull, etc.). But we'll skip over the science and say that basically during low tide the water's edge is further away from land, and therefore more of the beach (sand) is exposed. At high tide it's the opposite - the water's edge moves closer in to land and less beach (sand) is exposed. So if you're wanting to search for teeth, shells, etc then at low tide there's more surface area to search.

The tides times change every day, so one week low tide could be at a very different time than the week before

You can find charts of local tide times at:

surf-forecast.com/breaks/…latest

Also, once you get to the area check with the visitor's center for more local tide times.

9. Re: Looking for shark teeth hunting tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2010, 05:16