We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing charter

Which Amelia Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
fishing charter

Can someone recommend a good fishing charter captain, for two people, on Amelia Island? Also, is there a (relatively casual) restaurant that might be willing to cook our catch for us?

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing charter

Are you looking for inshore fishing (jetties, tidal rivers / creeks) or off-shore and what time of the year? 2 person party going inshore / backwater will be easier to fill and less expensive due to the gas cost and boat size required to go far offshore.

Seeing what I can find on local restaurants willing to cook your catch. Now that is what I call confidence, planning your dinner around your hard day's work. But of course, you know they call it "fishing" and not "catching" for a reason!

USA
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing charter

Sorry -- I should have been more specific. Yes, I am referring to inshore / flats fishing, and we are coming down a few weeks from now. As for "restaurant that will cook the catch" -- I like to be optimisitic, but if it does not work out I can always eat some worms or a lure!

Thanks,

Amelia Island
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing charter

Our guests have had good luck with Russell Tharin, an Orvis guide, www.flyfishingamelia.com (not just fly fishing) and Lawrance Piper www.theanglersmark.com . Winger, I'll be interested to see what you come up with in the "catch and cook" category because I don't know of anyone. Down Under used to do it but they're closed. Some of the guides might know too.

Edited: 16 March 2010, 14:37
Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing charter

Well, you will have a lot of fun on the inshore fishing. Black drum are starting to really come in so your timing should be good. I do a lot of kayak fishing and was out on Sunday and caught a good number of sea trout and black drum and a couple of redfish; although most were small.

Let me add another name to the list of charter boats - Danny Flynn (904) 583-3131. Dan is a great guide and host and was recommended by several of my kayak fishing buddies.

I'm afraid that I have not had any luck on the cooking your catch question. When checking with the various guides, you might ask them. Or maybe they will invite you home with them and cook it for y'all! Now that would be service!!!! LOL

Amelia Island
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing charter

While it's not a casual restaurant, I just found out that Beech Street Grill works with Lawrence Piper to cook the fish caught by guests on his charters. He can give you the particulars.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing charter

The Anglers Mark here, speaking with the owner/chef (Rick) at the Beech Street Grill, said he'd cook a catch; just drop it beforehand and tell your waiter when you arrive later; "there would be a charge", but it would be your catch. Nice place, too.

Edited: 16 April 2010, 01:32
7. Re: fishing charter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:16