We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly beaches

Atlanta
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Topic
Dog friendly beaches

Are there dog friendly beaches on Amelia Island? This is my first and foremost question in determining what Florida beach to visit.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
957 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog friendly beaches

Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island is very dog friendly. We have been coming here for the past 6 years and have brought our golden retrievers. We actually rent a place right on the beach for a month and our dog loves it. This time of year there are very few people on the beach, but you always see people walking and playing with their dogs. Only request is that you pick up after your dog and the ordinance says he should be on a leash. Just to let you know, Fernandina Beach also has a fabulous dog park. It has an area for large dogs with a huge swimming pool and another area for small dogs separated from the large area. It is open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except closed on Tuesdays for cleaning. $5 per day or $30 for a month.

Brett's Waterway Cafe, located on the water in the historic district of Fernandina Beach, allows dogs in their patio area and will bring you water for the dog. All in all, I think this is a very dog friendly town and you will love the beach.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 13:58
Mentioned in this post
Fernandina Beach
Fernandina Beach
Amelia Island, FL
Atlanta
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog friendly beaches

Tripletime,

Thank you very much for your reply. I just got back a month ago from St. George Island, which is very dog-friendly. Our city dogs LOVED the beach. We now want to go back in the autumn and try someplace new. I'll read up on this area.

My sister has an enormous supply of romance novel plastic bags printed by a romance novel publisher. They are perfect for cleaning up after our dogs!! The supply is huge so we have to go back to the beach (smiley face).

Mentioned in this post
St. George Island
St. George Island
Florida Panhandle, FL
Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog friendly beaches

Just to add to TripleTime's excellent response. Most of the eating establishments with an outside dining area will permit leashed dogs there. See folks downtown all the time with their dogs. Dogs on the beach are supposed to be on a leash, but many go off-leash for chasing balls, etc. on uncrowded parts of the beach where they will not jump on or scare other visitors.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog friendly beaches

Tripletime,

In looking through the vacation rentals on TripAdvisor, I don't see any places right on the beach that take dogs. Where is it that you stay for a month with yours? Is there some rental agency I'm not seeing on TA?

Thanks.

5. Re: Dog friendly beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Amelia Island