We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

Which Amelia Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

There are many villas and condos to rent on Amelia and most seem very nice. My question is this - Is it worth the extra money (10-20% more) to rent in the AIP over these other nice places? Is the environment, the privacy, security, added amenities, or convenience offered in AIP worth the premium? Thanks.

Avon, OH
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

Here's just one person's opinion. My husband and I have been traveling to Amelia for many many years now. We had never stayed at the Plantation until this past August. We were very curious since they have recently done over $100 M in renovations. Admittedly, we did not stay in the condos or Villas. . .we stayed at the hotel. While I think the Plantation is beautiful, I felt as if I was at an all-inclusive resort. Something like you would stay at while in the Caribbean or Mexico (only it isn't all-inclusive. . you pay for your food and drink). You could stay on the property for your whole vacation. My problem with this is. . .the rest of the island is soooo beautiful and the little town of Fernandina is so quaint and there are sooooo many really excellent restaurants and nooks and crannnies to explore on the island. In the end, I suppose it is all in what you are looking for. . .if you are looking for an all-inclusive resort feel, the Plantation is the place for you. . .but for me, I just love Amelia Island so much I would rather stay elsewhere and enjoy everything the island has to offer and stop down to the Plantation if I care to dine or shop there. Just my two cents :-)

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
877 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

We totally agree with impatientgrasshopper's comments. We have been staying at a house on the beach for the past 8 years and love it. AIP is a true full-service resort like many you'd find all over the world. We have visited relatives who were staying there and it seemed nice enough. I think you'd feel some obligation to take advantage of the amenities on property and thus miss out on the real character of Amelia Island. The town is dog-friendly, great restaurants & shopping and has a charm that the resort lacks. Save the 10-20% and enjoy the real Amelia Island.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:03
Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

As the other posters have noted, it all depends on what you are looking for. If all you care about is a leisurely time of sitting on the beach or at the pool or playing golf or going to the Spa, the Plantation (or the Ritz or Summer Beach) resorts will fit the bill perfectly. But if you desire to get out and explore the history, shopping, dining and outdoor activities you might find other locations more convenient and probably less expensive. Safety is not an issue although you should follow normal precautions of locking away valuables in the car or keeping an eye on items down at the beach, etc.

Have a great time.

Avon, OH
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

I think dlwinger misspoke when he lumped Summer Beach into that group. Summer Beach is an area on the south end of Amelia Island (although north of AIP). It has has several condominium complexes (i.e. Carlton Dunes, Ocean Place, Amelia Surf & Racquet Club, Sailmaker, Sea Chase, Outrigger, etc.) We've stayed in the Summer Beach area for 10 years before we recently purchased a unit. The complexes don't have any amenities besides a pool, the beach and, of course, great views. We would home base here but have always loved to explore the island, enjoy the town and great variety of restaurants and history.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

Impatient,

You are right in that Summer Beach does not have the full range amenities of Ritz Carlton on the Plantation in terms of Spa, conference center etc; but it is an oceanfront controlled access community with pool, tennis, golf course, and they bill themselves as Summer Beach Resort. Just calling yourself a resort doesn't make you one though. I have never stayed on property so defer to your experience but its not a Motel 6.

Avon, OH
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

Didn't mean to contradict you DL :-) I can say, when you have kids, staying in a place with a full kitchen is extremely helpful, esp. for breakfast. As the kids of grown older and more and more breakfast places have popped up (or maybe we just discovered as we explored) I've become more lazy with even breakfast and we go out. It is a vacation for me also, afterall :-) Take care.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

Thank you all SO much for insights and advice. Booked outside but close to AIP and will definitely explore other areas!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

As a follow-up to my initial inquiry I can say that I greatly enjoyed staying off AIP. The island has so much to offer that the cloistered feel of AIP would have prevented me from doing the exploration. That said, our time visiting AIP revealed a pleasant environment that would have been better for biking and walking. The convenience of shops and restaurants is attractive, although the best restaurants are found in others areas of Amelia and Fernandina. In all I appreciated the lower costs of staying outside AIP but another trip may include a stay at AIP.

9. Re: Worth the premium to rent in Amelia Island Plantation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:18