We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

Which Amelia Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

We will be staying at Omni Plantation in late April with 2 teens. It appears that there are paths for riding bikes within the resort but is it possible to ride the bikes outside of the resort? How far to the Fernandina downtown area and is it safe to bike there? Also, I know you can rent bikes at the resort but are there other bike rental stores that may be cheaper? (bikes at resort are $75/week or $25/day)

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
872 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

There is a bike rental shop at the intersection of S. Fletcher and Sadler (roundabout next to Sliders Grill) but the rates are only $5 cheaper at $70 week. It is quite a ride from AIP up to Fernandina Beach. Some of the roads do not have bike paths.

Fernandina Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

Hello from Amelia's Wheels at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation! We do offer bike rentals here at Amelia's Wheels seven days a week! Our rates are $9 per hour, $25 per day (24 hours) and $75 per week. Our bikes are not allowed off property due to the lack of bike trails, however we have over 7 miles of bike trails and recommended biking routes! Our property is over 1,350 acres and you will see views of both the beach and marsh! We even have a Naturalist Bike Hike that you can book through our Nature Center. The town of Fernandina is located on the opposite side of the island and is about a 15-20 car ride from the resort. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us here at Amelia's Wheels at 904.277.5120! You can also check out our weekly resort guide at weeklyresortguide.com for all the other fun activities we offer on property!!!

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

As noted by the others, there are some other bike rental locations but they won't be a lot less expensive. Another location is Kayak Amelia either at their location downtown in the historic district or at their outpost on Simpson Creek between Big and Little Talbot Islands just south of Amelia Island via A1A. Their rental is $20/day and they don't post a weekly rate but I'm sure they would be happy to quote you one. As Kate noted, there is quite an extensive walking/bike trail system within AIP. While the bicycle enthusiasts do it all the time, I would not recommend biking on A1A due to the narrow shoulder and the volume/speed of the traffic. There is a great paved biking trail running through Big and Little Talbot State Park but getting there is the challenge. Egan's Greenway trails are also biked extensively but I would recommend having a wide tire as sometimes there are some soft sand patches along the trail.

The local biking group is working with the state of FL to establish a connected bike path all the way from Fort George Island all the way up to the historic district in Fernandina Beach. As noted earlier, parts of the trail are complete but there are still some gaps where there are no bike lanes or paths. Here is a link to a brochure showing some of the public accessible biking trails: ameliaisland.com/uploadedFiles/Amelia_Island…

Here is a great link to the local biking group with lots of reference information for other rentals: http://www.ameliaislandtrail.org/rentals.html

Fort Clinch has great biking trails, either along the paved roadway or the off-road trail. If they allow you to ride off the state park (and since they allow you to ride on the beach I don't see why they wouldn't), almost directly across the entrance from Fort Clinch is the northern end of Egan's Greenway trail and 1.2 miles west is the historic district. So a day's rental from Fort Clinch might be a great way to bike around the northern end of the island for the day.

Hope this helps.

Grand Rapids...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

We are thinking of going to Amelia Island next spring. We would like to do a lot of biking as a family. The biking maps that I looked at indicated that there are extensive bike paths, but your post leads me to believe that perhaps the maps are misleading.

We had been to Sanibel Island this past spring, and loved being able to ride our bikes to points of interest on the island. We were hoping for the same experience on Amelia Island.

Can anyone ride the trails at The Plantation, or are they restricted to guests and homeowners only.

Thanks

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

Mitten,

Perhaps I was being a bit too harsh in my generalization about the lack of completeness of the bike trails. If you look at the .pdf document in my earlier reply you will note that a number of the trail sections are noted as "on road". If it describes the road as A1A, N. Fletcher, S. Fletcher, Sadler Road, Atlantic Avenue, 14th Street note these are major roadways, although many of them have wide paved shoulders or sidewalks that can be used.

While the AIP property is supposed to be used by residents and guests, one can easily access the bike routes through the public area at the Shops and I doubt anyone is going to stop you and request to see ID. I hope this helps.

6. Re: Bikes at Omni Plantation, Amelia Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 07:16