We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveler Safety?

LA
1 post
Save Topic
Traveler Safety?

I have heard from friends that you have to be very careful when traveling in the Florida Keys. Things stolen out of pockets, hotel rooms, misrepresentation of attractions. Is this true? Is it excessively more than other places we may travel in Florida?

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveler Safety?

Huh? You're kidding, right?

Whenever traveling you need to exercise common sense and protect your valuables (lock the door, zip your purse, etc) but, I have heard more stories about things getting returned than stolen in KW.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveler Safety?

No worries! Just use common sense. Our biggest crime problem are DUI's.

I hardly ever lock my car doors.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveler Safety?

This is a trick question, right?

.... I can't remember the last time I locked my cars over night nor my house during the day! Hope no one has my address ;)~

I mean, if you park your car and leave it unlocked with a camera in plain sight while you hang out at yer hotel pool a few hours, the camera MIGHT be gone when you come back. But, that would be because another tourist spotted it and found it too hard to resist.

Key Largo is pretty sleepy. If you are truly concerned, go to keysso.net. You can look under "arrests" or "call for service" as they come in to the sheriff's office. I'd guestimate 90% are traffic related.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveler Safety?

Seriously? The Keys? The Florida Keys?

We're not crime-free, of course, and people need to take normal precautions, but I feel as safe if not safer here as I do anywhere else in Florida. Common sense and sobriety are often in short supply when people are on vacation, leaving them vulnerable to opportunists.

Outside of Key West, I confess that I rarely lock my car, routinely leave things of value lying on the shore, and lock the house sporadically. (And never when I'm home.)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveler Safety?

Where did you hear this?

The biggest issue I have seen, & heard about here, is the police doling out parking tickets like candy, & towing tourists rental scooters for parking in "bike parking," or outside the designated parking lines! Next common annoyance is drunk drivers on bikes, scooters or in cars, & renegades attempting to take bikes or scooters if they aren't locked securely. Other than this, common precautions prevail to remain secure & safe.

Florida
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveler Safety?

Just use common sense, there are dishonest people everywhere you go but I would be a whole lot more worried say in Miami then the Keys. People are just more laid back down here, and the police presence is all over unlike major cities where you hardly ever see a police car. Here you see one almost every mile you drive which is really annoying when you have a radar detector in your car.

I have seen tourists park and get out of their car then walk to the trunk to place their valuables. DONT DO THIS. If there are any crooks watching they would wait until you leave and brake into your trunk.

Now about the motels, my husband works security at a few here in Key Largo. The only problems he has is drunken people fighting, people sleeping in the parking lots, and people partying all night. No reports of stolen property. Now that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the Keys just not that common. I would be more concerned about how expensive everything down here is than the crime.

Misrepresentation of attractions... mmm.. yes this is definitely one of the number one grips I hear. People always ask where are the beaches???? Where are those long white sandy stretches of beach???? Well they are in Miami, not here. We do have a few small beaches that are quite nice but not very many. I think the best beach is Bahia Honda State Park at mm 37.

7. Re: Traveler Safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 19:17