We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alabama Jack's Key Largo

Level Contributor
58 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Alabama Jack's Key Largo

How far is Alabama Jack's from Miami? We didn't plan to visit the Keys this year. Is it something els to visit between Miami and Alabama Jack's? If I've well understood this restaurant is on the mainland before the bridge to the Keys.

We're traveling with our 3 teens ,coming from Europe.If somebody things about something very "south floridian spirit", don't hesitate to mention us.

Thanks everybody!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alabama Jack's Key Largo

From Miami it'll take you a good hour to get to Alabama Jacks. IMHO the hour drive is not worth it to eat at AJ's.

I try and stop there everytime we drive to the keys. That being said, I would NOT drive an hour each way to eat there.

"South Floridian Spirit"? If you want a beach type experience then hang at South Beach or go on up to Fort Lauderdale.

Otherwise you could travel over to the everglades.

Level Contributor
58 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alabama Jack's Key Largo

Thank's for the info.

With " south floridian spirit" I wanted to say "old south florida" not Sobe spirit!

Few years ago ( about 15!) I went in an old bbq eateries near the Dog Race in North Miami who was really typical old Florida. It was an amazing lunch! and I wanted to find back this kind of flair to go with our children.

Any suggestion?

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alabama Jack's Key Largo

Alabama Jack's is 13 miles south of the end of the Florida turnpike in Florida City. There is little to see on Card Sound Road after leaving US#1 and arriving at Alabama Jacks.

We live in Homestead and drive down there for lunch often. It is nice. On weekends there is music. There are birds there that will eat from you hand, but signs prohibit feeding them, ( I do anyway). The food is good and the other customers are friendly.

" South Florida Spirit ?" That is in increasing short supply here as we become more Latin and less American.

Maybe something from this list:

Venetian pool in Coral Gables

The Everglades National Park

or west out Route 41 for an airboat ride in the everglades outside the national park

The Deering estate, probably not for teenagers

Coconut Grove, probably good for teens

The Redfish Grill, near Coconut Grove for dinner