We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit of Pennekamp Glassbottom Boat Tour

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit of Pennekamp Glassbottom Boat Tour

My understanding is that the boat accommodates up to 150 people, but only about 50 people can fit around the glass bottom viewing area. How does that work?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit of Pennekamp Glassbottom Boat Tour

I gather the max. passengers is 130. There are two glass bottom viewing areas or wells, in the two hulls of the catamaran. If the boat is full people would possibly need to take turns to get round the two underwater viewing areas. Some people sit down with their legs dangling. You only need look down into the wells once the boat is at the reef.

http://www.pennekamppark.com/glassbottom.html

We took this tour a few years ago. Its a great trip. The crew and narrator are very professional. However we found that it wasn't very comfortable looking down into the wells for a long period. They are relatively narrow and deep. There can also be a smell of diesel fumes. If you tend to get seasick this will do it. Take seasickness medication well before the trip etc. Being a catamaran does mean the boat is pretty stable.

My wife has also taken the glass bottom boat from the Holiday Inn marina, about 5 miles south of the Pennekamp park landside entrance, a couple of times whilst I've been diving. That goes to the same reefs. She found the viewing a little more comfortable. The well is wider and shallower.

http://keylargoprincess.com

We saw another glass bottom boat in Key West where the viewing windows were on the side and you looked directly out but not sure if that is still operating. I posted something a while back about that - it may show up in a search of these forums.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit of Pennekamp Glassbottom Boat Tour

I seriously don't think I have ever seen 150 people on the boat. Probably the only time you would have to worry about it would be on a holiday weekend. When I have seen the boat, I have seen more like 30-50 passengers aboard. I have also seen it going out with a handful of folks aboard.

I think passengers tend to move about rather than sit hued to a spot for the entire trip. There are refreshments aboard as well.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit of Pennekamp Glassbottom Boat Tour

Yes, you take turns. You don't want to stay down there too long, it's stuffy, easy to get sea sick.

4. Re: Spirit of Pennekamp Glassbottom Boat Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo