We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General questions

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
867 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
General questions

Is key largo a family place? What are some good places to stay that have pools and some that also have some things like pool bars restaurants room service balconies and playgrounds or kid things. A place that is right on the beach and walkable to restaurants and things to do. Also what is the closest airport and then transportation the rest of the way without renting a car?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General questions

The closest airport would be MIA. But FLL isn't that much farther.

Key Largo and the rest of the Florida Keys are very family friendly.

Unless you are staying in Key West only, a rental car is highly recommended.

I am not as familiar with the hotels in Key Largo. There are a few with what you are looking for if you are considering outside of KL as well.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
867 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General questions

Sure what about marathon? Or what were you thinking? It will be a huge family trip so we would prefer to walk everywhere and not have rental cars. And to also be on the beach and have a place with pools and stuff.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General questions

Key Colony Beach - a condo, Continental Inn or Ocean Beach Club. There are 4 restaurants to walk to, but you still kind of need a car. Key West is really the only place in the Keys were you wouldn't need one.

Tranquility Bay and Hawks Cay are worth taking a look at too.

We did a big family thing at Kon Tiki in Islamorada - not a beach but an incredible waterfront. Was a great place for all of us.

With a large family - taking the shuttle may work out more $$ then a weekly van rental.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General questions

Another vote here for something in Key Colony, but also another vote that a car(s)/van is a must and would most likely work out to be a lot cheaper in getting around. Staying in Key Colony you can drive to Bahia Honda or back up to Key Largo quite easily. It has been two years since I have been to the Keys, but planning another trip shortly and very familiar with the area. I just think there are so many interesting things to see and do to make things more enjoyable and a vehicle rental would be the only way to do it. Oh and maybe even check out Coco Plum and get a couple of units there depending on how many are in your group............. but again, as bluewater said, I would highly suggest a car rental. If it is a very large group perhaps just one vehicle and if there are some that do not want to go out for the day perhaps they could just stay at the rental and hang out around there???

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General questions

It might be a good idea to do a bit of research on the Florida Keys. Apart from Key West, the other keys are really not places where you can do a lot of walking as they are spread out either side of Highway 1. You also need a car if you are not staying just in Key West. The Keys are not known for their beaches.There are some State Parks with beaches but you will need a car to get to them. Have a look at the list of hotels in Key Largo to see what they are like and if they have the amenities you want.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 20:32
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General questions

1. Yes - the keys are very friendly -The Marriott would give you all of those things in Key Largo - The Hampton Inn at Manatee bay has pool and a Tiki Bar but not a lot to walk too - you would need a cab at times. You may find a bit more to walk too from the Holiday Inn.

2.The Alarm bells ring when people say "on the beach" - The above 2 Hotels have very small man made sand strips on the Bay side not Ocean side - most of the areas in the keys are on Limestone rock not natural sand so there are not massive numbers of large beaches.

3. Ocean Pointe Suites may suit you - you could walk to Harry Harris beach / park and there is a small ocean front beach with lots for children but it sits in it's own grounds and walking to restaurants etc would be a no go in the heat etc.

4 I love the keys - they are awesome but if I wanted a family holiday on an ample beach - safe - lots to do in walking distance - good access - I would actually stay in Sunny Isles Beach in North Miami.

5. Your nearest airport is probably Miami in terms of getting shuttle transportation to key Largo - although Key West is a possibility.

6. If you don't have transportation of some form in the Keys you could be really limiting your experiences - which is why if I wasn't driving I would actually pick a venue that you could eat at a different place each night and walk too - it will be very hard to do that in the keys unless you stay in Key West (assuming a 2 week stay) Hope this helps?

7. Re: General questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:17