We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motel

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
motel

Hello.

I lived in Miami many years ago and spent most weekends in the Keys.

I'll be staying in Islamorada and Key West for a few nights and would likea place in Key Largo before I drive back to Sarasota.

I've looked at the reviews for hotels but would like an opinion from the locals.

What would you suggest for a middle of the road (not high end) place to stay?

Also, a fun place for dinner?

Thanks.

~SRQgirl (anyone remember 7 Mile Bridge when it was 2 lanes???? I do. )

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motel

We've been recommending the Hampton to friends who visit. Ditto Bayside Resort.

Fun place for food and drinks in KL I guess is Big Chill. It gets both a big locals crowd as well as a Miami tourist one on weekends. Gilbert's is a popular weekend afternoon scene with their live music, but, not for food. Pilot house is also trending with locals and would be my pick. Good food on the water & live music every night, too.

Ummm... The 7 Mile Bridge is still 2 lanes...

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motel

Thanks for the info..

Sorry, I meant the old 7 Mile Bridge pre- 1978. You needed a drink before you crossed it..so narrow.

Many people were afraid to drive it so there were fewer tourists in KW...no cruise ships either.

The good old days..

~SRQgirl

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motel

My dad used to love to run over fishing poles extending onto the lanes of the old 7 Mile Bridge. He would have an evil laugh when he got one!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motel

LOL...yep..now you're talking..I like your Dad already.

All kinds of things went on back in the day... ;-)

Wet T Shirt contests at the Bull and Whistle...Ziggy's, Coral Grill, madness at Holiday Isle..

sigh...

~SRQgirl

5. Re: motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:19