We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

Michigan
Level Contributor
393 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

Hi! We have decided to travel to the Floriday Keys this year. We've never been to this area. We are in our 30's, one son age 5 who loves water. We are on a little budget, just want a get away, relax, enjoy water, see some sights and some of the shopping and animal attractions in the area. Still doing our research! We are looking at some vacation property rentals up and down the keys.

Do you think I should try hard to find a resort that has a beach for us to enjoy? I think we'll definitely look for one with a pool, as my son is a fish and I love to get a tan. But, it doesn't look like the beaches at the resorts (that I can afford) are the best for a little one? We've stayed in AI's before in the caribbean, walk out your door, white sand beach, and it appears the beaches in the resorts in the keys are not really like this. Should I forego the resort beach in favor of a nicer rental, and plan to travel to local beaches for family beach time? Keep in mind we have to fly in, so I do not have beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. to bring along.

Also, I've found some nice places to stay in Key Largo, but will we feel like it takes too long to get anywhere else in the keys? I've found a few places in Islamorada or Marathon - do you think those are better choices for our family as they seem more central? Thanks for all your help!!!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,006 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

No, not really beaches in the Keys. But incredibly beautiful waterfront areas. If you do find a rare resort with a beach, it's going to be top price. Key Largo - yes, not as central but has some nice accommodations. Islamorada, Marathon / Key Colony Beach also have nice accommodations and are a little more central to both ends. I would really go on if you find a place you like. No need to bring chairs etc - these small resorts will have what you need, if not to your liking - a quick stop at Walgreen/Publix/Kmart will have that stuff.

Michigan
Level Contributor
393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

thanks bluewater, that is what I was gathering from my searches. I think we'll try to find a good budget place with a decent pool, maybe some views, and try that. Then, just plan for daily beach trips. Thanks for the feedback!!!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

We love KL and spend a lot of time there. Given your desires I'm not sure you would love it. Maybe look at Islamorada area as it still isn't a long drive from major aiports and may offer more nearby activities for you. Chesapeake Resort is very nice and has that pool. Also at least 3 restaurants there. Quick drive to many others. Theatre Of the Sea is less than a mile North. Marathon is an easy drive to spend a day and explore.Ck the Chamber of Commerce website. There are a huge variety of options. For a lower budget and still good place, look at Harbor Lights. We have stayed there a handful of times. Pool right on the water. They have a few efficiency type units directly overlooking the Ocean which would be nice for a 5yold imo. Pack one of those lg "cooler bags" in your luggage. They are great for road trips and beach stops as you explore the keys. We always have one for cold beverages and snacks. Also nice for grocery store trips when it is hot outside.

Michigan
Level Contributor
393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

Thank you! Great tips, and thanks for the reminder about the lunch cooler bag!

5. Re: Do I need a resort with a beach? Family w 5 y.o.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19