We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to everglades

Kent
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
trip to everglades

hi, still undecided the best way of doing this. from key largo we're driving up to the gulf coast and want to have a few hours, half a day seeing the everglades,

is it possible to drive from key largo, do the everglades and drive up to naples in a day, or would we be best to drive from key largo to naples then the following day do a trip to the everglades?

we're driving from key west so thought a night in key largo would break up the driving.

going round in circles so any help appreciated , thanks

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to everglades

I think it is very possible to make the trip as you first suggest. The actual distance from Key Largo is about 135 miles so it makes a short day. You can visit at least 2 of the visitor centers/entrances in the time you have unless you are really into hiking or kayaking in the Everglades. Make your first stop at the Ernest Coe visitor center not far off the route but turning at Florida City onto West Palm Drive. The road will have just turned into a 4 lane so make sure you are in the left lane for your turn at the first stop light. From there just follow the signs.

On your return, turn left onto Krome Avenue (hwy 997) instead of going all the way to US 1 and follow that to hwy 41 where you turn left again. From here it is about 16 miles to the Shark Valley Visitor Center and well worth the stop there. As you continue you trip after Shark Valley, watch for the Clyde Butcher gallery on your left in another 18 miles. Just beyond that is the Big Cypress Preserve Visitor Center, also a nice stop.

When you reach the intersection with hwy 29 you have the third chance to stop at an Everglades Visitor Center, the one for the 10,000 islands district at Everglades City. From this intersection to Naples is roughly another 30 miles.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to everglades

wow thanks, thats sounds great i think the 2 stops will be enough

Kent
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to everglades

last question i promise

due to cheaper hotels, now i'm thinking drive from key west to florida city , (could stop key largo for food etc) and stay for 1 night at the Fairway Inn and having a 3/4 day at the everglades as your suggestion, then onto gulf coast.

what do you think? i know i'm a pain just wanna get it right, thanks so much

4. Re: trip to everglades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:19