We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving the keys

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Diving the keys

Coming from Orlando - i was planning to start in Key Largo and go from island to island diving and staying at hotels till i hit key west. based on reviews, sounds like key largo is the best site as well as rainbow reef dive center.

should i focus on just key largo and key west and split the days that way? Also good hotels and restaurant ideas welcome. I have never been to key largo, only key west.

Good dive center in Key west?

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving the keys

The water clarity in Key Largo is amazing, unlike that of Key West.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving the keys

Don't discount the middle Keys just yet. Lots of diving going on around here too. I have never been off KW but have been told it's better in KL and the Middle Keys over and over.

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving the keys

We are big fans of the diving in Key Largo, and Islamorada is a great place to dive as well. And here's another vote for Rainbow Reef Dive Center. We have been diving with them for 13 years and they are a fine operation.

The only advantage I see in diving Key West would be the opportunity to dive the Vandenberg if you're a fan of diving wrecks. Whatever you decide, base it on your personal preferences and what you are looking for in a vacation. I your priority is seeing lots of different places and just enjoying yourself, then it might be fun to work your way down the Keys and check out different areas. But if your priority is diving and you are looking for the best quality dives, I would suggest that you spend more time in Key Largo and focus on the dives available there.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving the keys

awesome feedback. Any thoughts on best time of year for diving? anything to consider about certain fish or whatever that might be there a certain time of year? or a time of year to avoid (of course i will go when its warm) - i know some carribian places have stuff in the water thats not good.

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving the keys

My favorite time is April thru July. The water is warm and there is plenty to see. August/September is the hottest time of year topside. You really can't go wrong...there are so many cool things to see diving in Key Largo! From the smallest macro critters to the larger sea creatures, like sharks and spotted eagle rays - they're all in attendance :-)

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving the keys

Agree with CajunDiva...can't go wrong with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. If you continue on to Islamorada, then the Islamorada Dive Center (located at Post Card Inn) is an excellent operation, also.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving the keys

thanks for all the great feedback. i will report back when i book the trip

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving the keys

We did just that, Quiscence in KL, Harris in the middle keys, Captains Corner in KW. We just had our last dive day. Current in KL, middle was good, vis issues in KW. Still glad we did it. No current Vanderberg dives are awesome. Good luck.

9. Re: Diving the keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo