We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arrival in 8 days

NUTLEY NJ
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
arrival in 8 days

arriving in 8 days approx 4:00 pm on saturday

advice on first thing to accomplish, besides normal stocking of essentials.

should i make the trip to duval with two teens.

staying at 1800 atlantic.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: arrival in 8 days

1800 Atlantic is FAR from the crowd, so if you want isolation, you're in a great spot! If I were you, I'd keep a rental car or rent bikes (I never advise renting mopeds unless someone is used to them) so you can access the normal stuff in Old Town - sunset ceremonies at Mallory Square, tourist activities and fabulous restaurants.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arrival in 8 days

#1 - bike ride around the island - gotta B 1st!

#2 - depending on your kids ages (high schoolers or middle schoolers) you can look on the Monroe County School's website and see what's happening during your stay. They may want to go to a sports game (KWHS is in the soccer state championships this year). P.S. this is a great place for your kids to meet kids their age.

#3 - visit the lighthouse - take pictures from the top.

#4 - take your kids on a biplane ride - I took my son on his 15th birthday and he loved it!

#5 - If they like six-toed cats....Ithe Hemingway House still has plenty (I hope).

#6 - the skating rink is right by 1800 Atlantic on Bertha St.....if they like to play tropical (in-line) hockey or just roller skate.

#7 - Blue Hole in Big Pine.

#8 - kayaking in the backcountry

#9 - skimboarding right at Smather's or Higgs Beach

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2250-Weekend_w…

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arrival in 8 days

"should i make the trip to duval with two teens."

How old are the teens? There is another thread with just under 3000 posts about kids in Key West. IMHO if the kids are over 15, there is nothing that will scar them on Duval during the day or early evening. If you are with them to see what is going on, you'll be fine.

My 18 y/o has been going with us to Key west for the last 5 year. You are the parent, you decide what your kids can and can not handle.

FYI - The first thing we always do when we get to Key West is drive Duval to get a feeling for whats happening.

Have fun, let us know what you did, liked and when you are coming back.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arrival in 8 days

Assuming you arrive by 4:00 and get unpacked by 5:00, you can explore on foot for a while. You can walk west on Atlantic Blvd right over to Higgs Beach and see the ocean, then continue to Reynolds Street. Right onto Reynolds past the Casa Marins, then three short blocks to South Street where you make a left and you will come to Simonton then Duval. Then you can walk up Duval all the way to the Discovery glass bottom boat. This is about 2 - 2.5 miles and you'd be in time for the sunset at the Mallory Docks. You can plan to take a cab back.

When you are on Reynolds Street, though, you can zig and zag - Seminole Street, Alberta, Waddell, Vernon - then to South Street. This way you can make a note of Louis' Backyard at Waddell & Vernon.

The only good thing about last year's hurricane season is that it blew away the bush in front of Louie's sign so that now you can see where it is. It blew away the sign but that has been replaced, but not the bush.

Pjk

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,901 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arrival in 8 days

Duval has many great shops, little places to eat, art galleries, etc. . There is a melting pot of people from all walks of life. My kids have been going there almost every year since they were little. We just don't take them to Duval late at night.

Make sure you go to Mallory Square at least once for the sunset.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: arrival in 8 days

You don't say what age the two teens are (which could be anywhere from 13 to 19) and there's a big difference there. But the first day we were there, beyond the normal stocking up for few essentials was to hit Mallory Square to catch the vibe. And you're timing on that would be perfect if you're ready to "explore" a little come about 5:30-6. Mallory seems to break up almost immediately following sunset and so, that way too, you can also take a stroll along duval once that's over. There seems to be a lull on Duval from around 7-9, so you won't catch the music pouring out into the street or anything, but the shops are still open and if you haven't filled up on stuff, dinner at Kelly's is just a really short walk away.

I am completely jealous and my husband and I can't wait to go back. We loved having the kids with us, and one of our favorite things about KW was being able to let them go off on their own to a certain degree and then hear the tales of their days.

If you've got MS and HS kids, I think a trip to Hemmingway house should be almost mandatory since they are sure to read or have read Old Man and the Sea. I bought a few more while we were there and it's been an interesting discussion about the time and place of the use of language ever since!

Also... While we didn't take the tour per say, we did get the scoop on the Truman's White House -- browsing around and reading the signs of all of that. It's kind of an interesting history lesson and current event session all at once, especially considering Castro's health these days.

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arrival in 8 days

we'll be there at the same time. I agree Mallory Sq. is a good place to start to "catch the vibe." Keep in mind sunset is about 6:15 that day, and the fun is before sunset, so you'll want to get right there, maybe cab, then work your way back on Duval. The choices for eating can be daunting the first time because there are so many. They're all fine, so find a place that suits your fancy and grab a seat. Or you can snack at Mallory and along the way home.

Don't forget to try Fort Zach beach while you're there.

Have a blast!

8. Re: arrival in 8 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:20