We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T-Shirt Shops

Kansas City
Level Contributor
598 posts
1 review
Save Topic
T-Shirt Shops

Apparently the 'KW for Kids' thread has been closed (and that's a good thing!) because I couldn't post a reply to it. I'm not taking a position on either side of that issue but I have a couple of observations. First, I'm surprised that no one, on either side of the issue, brought up the change in Las Vegas over the past several years from adult only to family friendly. Primarily thought I wanted to give my opinion about the T-shirt shops. I don't think the obsene(sp?) t-shirts in the windows are designed for the people that are on this forum, i.e., the residents and the travelers that see KW as a destination. I think the window displays are designed for the crusie ship people. The cruise ship traveler is only in port a few hours and will most likely go by any given shop only once. I think the windows are designed to shock, and hopefully draw them in to see what else is in there. And of course buy something.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: T-Shirt Shops

Actually, KJHawk, Las Vegas has flipped back to being less-family friendly. The idea of attracting families was very popular temporarily, maybe as far back as ten years ago, but there were several tragedies that took place - including the kidnapping and murder of at least one child - that caused the town to reconsider its marketing plan. I'm sure you've seen the more recent ads from the past year or so, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: T-Shirt Shops

Hmmm interesting response. Someone will surely complain that this has begun again and it will also get killed, even though it is VERY RELEVANT (TA!!) to Key West and her tourists.

Cruise ship passengers, IMHO, do not want tee shirts that have slogans on them that have nothing to do with Key West, but rather crude sexual or drinking-related slogans. In my observations, cruise pax are golden-year couples who want a conch train ride and a trinket for the grandkids.

They are also given an onboard ship's newspaper every morning with suggestions on what to do and buy for each destination, and I really don't think "Just Do Me" shirts are there.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T-Shirt Shops

I doubt that the cruise set buy these tee shirts. I think they are aimed at the sort of tourist who will wear them whilst on vacation and then back home as a joke. I actually think some of them are funny. I love the ones that say things like I'm not fifty I'm 18 with 32 years of experience or I survived Wilma that sort of thing. The ones with sexual connnotations look pretty stupid on middle aged people (like me) IMHO. Personally I never buy them because I was once warned by a local that as soon as the store keeper hears a European accent he will jack up the price. I hate being ripped off! I did once buy a sticker for work which said "If assholes could fly this place would be an airport". It was very apt for the place I worked at the time LOL.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: T-Shirt Shops

Unfortunately I've heard the accent thing too, far too many times and feel bad about that. Caveat emptor!

I bought a sticker once that said "Bad Cop, no donut" and an officer actually peeled it off my car at Miami airport with no explaination (didn't really need one) and walked away. Thought it was funny at the time.....

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: T-Shirt Shops

Before we went, we'd heard about the hard sell tactics regarding t-shirts too. I just told the kids don't ever go for the "free" t-shirt. But like I said in another post, SOME ONE must be buying enough of these things that vendors/shops can keep their leases on what would seem to be an excellent location. And while not for herself, I know my oldest daughter bought a few really stupid shirts for some of her friends back home. Not raunchy, but definitely not something someone over 30 would wear (or at least they shouldn't)!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T-Shirt Shops

The curious thing is that I've never actually seen anyone walking around Key West or in a bar or restaurant wearing one of the more obnoxious T-shirts. Maybe they are in the windows 'cause they can't get rid of them.

Pjk

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: T-Shirt Shops

the reason for the existance of a majority of the tacky shops is an ugly story that doesn't include t shirt sales. (not drugs either). Not for a nice perky travel board!

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T-Shirt Shops

I'll admit that while my lovely wife and I walk down Duval, we do check out of some of the T-shirts.

Will we ever buy one....probably not. But we do have a couple of chuckles at some of them. I still have a couple of "rank" t-shirts that I bought a few years back out of a catalog (17 years ago). I still haven't thrown them away....but at the same time I'll never wear them again.

I have a love/hate feeling as far as the t-shirt places go. There are only a few places that I'll actually purchase something from. They don't include the rip off artist that unfortunately cover alot of the store fronts that are mainly accessible to the cruise passengers.

For quality t-shirts, check out Crazy Shirts or any store's that already have the shirts pre-made.

We almost got ripped off once by one of those shops that make the t-shirts/prints to order. They tried to charge almost $80.00 for 2 shirts once everything was said and done.

I mentioned that ......no I didn't mention, I made a small scene, that I'd grab the nice Police Officer that was standing on the sidewalk outside the shop and let him know what was going on.

We got 2 t-shirts for the $10 bucks that was advertised.

Reading PA
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T-Shirt Shops

I bought my Peterson Family (with family crossed out) Fishing Charters, Modesta CA shirt and wear it all the time. To each his own.

If you want to see debates on the kids issue, go to the Vegas forum and read the thoughts there. I think it is about 10 to 1 against taking kids to Vegas.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: T-Shirt Shops

Hmmmm.... At $28 per square for the lease of prime real estate on Duval, ya gotta wonder. That's a lot of teeshirts you'd have to sell just to make rent... Forget about insurance, payroll, utilities, inventory etc. It just doesn't add up!