We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it about the keys??????????????

Westwood, NJ
Level Contributor
992 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
What is it about the keys??????????????

I've been to many tropical locations and love the tropical vibe, but there is something extraordinary about The Keys.......

It is so totally captivating that I find my vacation choices dwindling rapidly to just this one place.

I love the yucatan penninsula and Tuscany in Italy.

Yet The Keys always hold my attention in a way like no other.

It's like Grenwich Village in NYC nestled in the tropics.

I've heard others compare it to New Orleans (never been).

Yet there's just something about this place.

What is it??????

I know it's not just me, as I have seen many of the same posters on this site for years.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

Well for us Key West is a place we go to relax, the laid back stile, the people, a lot to do in walking distance.

People sometime ask us “what’s your favorite thing to do down there” and we say just hang around.

Love it, PJ

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

Silly rabbit, you've got the keys disease!

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

Keys Disease is a highly contagious , water and air borne, chronic with no cure only regular treatments to help with the symptoms!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

Before Key West, New Orleans was our favorite vacation destination. But the first time we went to Key West....well, the rest is history. They're similar in that you can stay in the French Quarter or Old Town and walk virtually everyplace you want to go. But for true rest and relaxation, fabulous restaurants, and tourist activities within walking distance, we haven't found ANYPLACE that compares to Key West. :)

By the way, we really love Monterey, California, too.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

I drive everybody crazy up here with my fixation on Key West. But, by cracky, I've gotten a couple to visit it who never would've considered it before! When one of these stood in front of my desk and asked, what is it that makes me so entralled with it, it took me a moment before I came up with "the acceptance." We're not young, our bodies are so not beautiful and we're comfortable with all manner of peoples. It feels so right there!

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

I'm a big fan of both the New Orleans French Quarter and Key West. Both are great party towns and both are within walking ("crawling'") distance of great accomodations, food and bars. But If I want to party and still be able to relax you can't beat the Keys. The police are friendly, the natives are friendly and everyone enjoys partying..a great combination. I also feel more confortable walking anywhere at night in Key West, not always the case in the French Quarter. I guess for me it's the Sunsets at Mallory Square. Where else do you find people that party just because the sun sets. Of course I think they'll party if a leaf falls...my kind of town!!!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,236 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

It's just so relaxing, everyone is friendly, so laid back I don't have to be anywhere, or do anything on a schedule. No watch, no shoes, just pass the margaritta's and watch the sunset.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

It's very cool to read these posts and personally know and read about folks who give up everything and move here. Dangerous, adventurous, makes many jealous.....

and to read that KW is so near and dear to people's hearts. As commercialized and popular as KW has gotten, she's still managed to keep her magic, through all the BS that time does to a destination.

I guess you can never take away the Banyan trees, the acceptance, tiny lanes, wierd, interesting people and warm, welcoming atmosphere that makes up Key West. I'm glad for that!

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

500th post! Yehaa

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is it about the keys??????????????

I was so glad when I discovered TA, because I found people who were just as fixated with Key West as we were!

I've been to beautiful towns in Europe, and we've been to several Caribbean islands and loved them, BUT there is no comparison that Key West is our favorite spot. Or can I beat the feeling of exilaration when we booked our flights for our return trip to KW this May.

I love traveling to new places, but there's nothing like returning to a town that totally captivated me on our first drive down. It's so familiar to us, but offers so many new things to do each time we come back.

For us it's the getting away from the responsiblities of our daily lives and doing whatever strikes us at the moment and not worrying about actually doing something in particular that day! If we want to start listening to a band at a bar and stay there five hours it's OK! If we have the idea of going to dinner, but end up just having some Sunset Ales and appetizers - no worries!

I agree - a place that celebrates the everyday occurence of a sunset is a very special town!