We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

Albany
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

My hubby and I will be in Key West for 5 days, staying at the Almond Tree Inn in late March. We plan to spend one day doing an all-day snorkeling/kayaking trip and maybe another day going to Dry Tortugas. Was wondering if we should rent a scooter for 3 days or is that overkill? Any recommendations on stuff we should see/do while renting our scooters? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Almond Tree Inn
Almond Tree Inn
1,762 Reviews
Key West, FL
Sebago Key West
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Parasailing & Paragliding, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Honest Eco
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
Key West Eco Tours
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
123 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

I thought scooters were a no-no for tourists, according to a last post of Tourist No-no's. I hope not casue i love scooters no matter how dorky I look!!!! Plus, we are not renting a car so its either walk, cab (are there cabs?) or scooter. Sounds funny just sayin it!!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

A scooter is a better idea than a car in KW. I personally prefer to rent a bicycle, not only for the exercise, but the ease of parking and cost. Old town is small and biking is easy. You can rent either for a decent price at Moped Hospital at the corner of Truman and Simonton.

Some hotels also rent to customers at a good rate.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

I owned a scooter co here and sold it. There's a division of thoughts I have about this.

1. They are by far the best, most efficient way to get around the island...you can park anywhere, keep up with traffic, and 3 days will be 2 bucks in gas.

2. They are extremely small, flimsy and dangerous to tourists, who don't know the streets, intersections, even the potholes that all of us locals know about and navigate around.

We've seen heartbreaking wrecks, show offs, wheelies, and I've had people return scooters with white bandages all over. If you are experienced, I'd say have fun, remember it's a vehicle (DUI) and stay safe. If you've never been on one, pass, get a bicycle...

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

To add to taxi's experienced voice... Driving around town for a living, I've seen some things that would make it the cut on the next Jackass movie. There is a corner in Old Town with a scooter rental on one side and a bar on the other. I've seen scooters come out of the rental place and plow into a very large, very orange Old Town Trolley as it sat there waiting for the light. I've also seen a scooter turn the corner at the same intersection and proceed to spin twice as the driver laid it down on the street, inches from my front wheel.

If you are determined to rent a scooter and are not truly experienced, please PLEASE take more than the traditional three minutes of instruction before you ride off. I drive a scooter to work everyday. I am also a very experienced motorcycle rider. Scooters are dramatically different in their weight and balance. Experience on a motorcycle does not translate itself well to a scooter. Best advice,... Be safe, be aware and behave. A trip to Lower Keys Medical Center (or worse, if you find yourself on a helocopter headed for Miami, be very scared cause it's severe) should not be included on your list of sites visited while on vacation!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

On our recent trip to KW we saw 2 scooter wrecks and were involved in one. The one we were involved in, we were just getting into our rental car at our parking space and *bam*. We didn't see it coming and a scooter hit us head on as we sat in our space without the car running. Luckily no one was hurt, the car was ok, but I bet they didn't get the deposit back on the scooter.

All 3 wrecks were driven by blonde, women tourists. My kids (9 and 12) decided that blonde, women tourists shouldn't be allowed to drive scooters and for the rest of the week they had a riot picking them out and running behind a tree screaming. I swear I had nothing to do with this.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

i LOVE the cabs of kw. i have a gimpy knee so long walks are out,hell short walks out.i put the cab # on speed dial,make friends and get cards from the nice drivers and the island is mine! they'll come get you for a 3 block ride or anything.cab fare and great tips are factored into my travel budget out of necessity but these folks are so nice and so knowledgable, and do ALL the work.you will never see me on a bike or moped.i'll hobble/toddle or cab it!

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

I would rent bikes instead, more exercise and less noise pollution. The Moped Hospital is just up the street from your inn, at the corner of Simonton and Truman, and they'll be able to fix you up with either item (though again, go for the bicycle..).

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

shazbo, you're my kinda visitor!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,083 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

Plus the Almond Tree is at 512 Truman Avenue which means you are pretty much within a six block walk from everything - the Bight, Mallory Docks, Kelly's, Duval., etc., etc.

Pjk

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for renting scooters/mopeds

ELECTRIC CARS ARE THE WAY TO GO!

Safe for the environment.

No pollution, noise, or exhaust.

FUN FUN FUN. And did I mention FUN!

The operator I have recommended for a couple of years now is SUNSHINE RENTALS at Truman and Duval. (We met when their family of six - four kids! - came out on Danger.)

There is a developing situation on the island having to do with unlicensed cars and unscrupulous operators, so as a native that's another reason why I am happy to recommend Sunshine Rentals. They are helping the environment and doing their civic duty.

All their cars are licensed with the city, have all the proper permits for parking in residential and metered spaces, and they are all brand new. And, like I said, electric cars are fun. Since they are so silent, passengers still feel connected to the environment. You still get the "feel" of the island, you still feel connected.

There website is sunshinekeywest.com.