We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Carolina
5 posts
Save Topic
Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

Traveling to Key west this Sunday for a spring break trip with my daughter (almost 20.) We plan to do snorkeling, parasailing, and jetskiing. My question - we would love to be "tourists" and visit the bars at night - people watching, and just to say we have been there. I also would not mind if she had a beer or two - she's old enough to go to war, she's old enough to have a beer. Especially WITH her mom, and since we are not driving anywhere. Are people under age 21 allowed in the bars? How strict are ID checks? We are not wild people trying to break the rules, just a very close Mom and daugher trying to have a fun trip. Thanks!

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

They are very strict. They will have even more enforcement going on since it is Spring Break. I'm not really sure if she'll be allowed into some of the bars at night. She'll be able to go into them during the day though and they are still alot of fun.

Have some beer in your room. just don't let her get caught with it on the streets.

South Carolina
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. We originally planned to go out of the United State, Cancun, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc., but waited too late to start planning. Appreciate your answer!

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

Flattop is right. I'm 27 and I still get carded around here if I don't know the bouncer or the waitress. They will kick you out too sweet if you get caught drinking under age.

Unfortunately, even if she is with her mom, it's still illegal.

Having a drink or 2 in the room is your best bet.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

Oh, AND if she got caught, she'd have to go to Spring Break Court and spend a whole day of your vacation picking up garbage on the beach (or come back for her scheduled court date, which is the other choice besides garbage detail).

Not a good way to spend vacation.

South Carolina
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

Thanks SM Kennedy - you are right - that is NOT a fun way to spend vacation.

I am a little bummed out now - wish we had been able to book outside the good ol' US of A! Not necessarily just so she could drink, but just so we would have something fun to do together at night. No worries - we will still have fun snorkeling, jet skiing, parasailing, shopping and just being together! Wait - I forgot something important - EATING!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

There are still some places you can go to at night, even if she can't drink. The Rum Barrel has a good band on the rooftop deck and we saw teenagers up there eating dinner with their parents while listening to the music at night.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
643 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

My son was 2 days short of 21 and when the "evening" hours set in (I think it was 9:30) at Sloppy Joe's, we were told that he'd have to leave even though he wasn't drinking anything...not even water. And we certainly had run up a big enough tab, so $$ wasn't an issue.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

My mother and I are extremely close and we used to do our own vacations all the time. She's European so although she didn't encourage me to get a fake ID and go partying with my friends in highschool, she didn't have a problem with me having a glass of wine or a cocktail with her over a meal. That's how we got around it usually. 2 ladies dressed up and out to dinner, they don't usually ask for ID's because they tend to assume parents aren't going to encourge underage drinking. Give it a shot at a busy place and make sure she dresses a little sophisticated. They probably won't even think twice. But I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to get her into a bar.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

They announced in the paper today that they aren't doing Spring Break Court this year. So, there will be no -opt out of the regular court system this year if you're caught. Kids will be charged with underage drinking, and they'll have to return to KW for their court date.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,418 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom and Daughter Spring Break / Drinking Age

I don't know how it is in Key West but in New Jersey if an establishment is caught serving to a minor that place can be closed down for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Fake id or no. This might cause a lot of places in Key West to go out of business.

Pjk