We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

We have a flight leaving at 705 PM and are wondering what time to leave. Not sure if that's a high traffic day or not. Thanks! Can't wait

9 replies to this topic
Pottsville...
Level Contributor
959 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

I would leave by 10:00 but this is me. Anything could happen on the way through the Keys. If you find yours of with too much time once you hit the mainland stop off at the Everglades and enjoy the park.

Bear in mind I am the kind of person who always must be early.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

Its 'about' three and a half hours on a good day, even if you bumped that up to four and a half, five hours I would suggest no earlier then say noon. Have you tried the app Waze ? If does a good job of routing you around traffic, and also has a 'planned drives' feature, you could plan the trip for a 5pm arrival and it will remind you when to leave.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

Fairly quiet around here the next couple of weeks. Traffic ;shouldn't" be and issue.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,811 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

I agree that it shouldn't be an issue, but an accident on the overseas highway can still cause significant delays. I would add an extra couple hours to the expected 3.5 hours drive to be safe. If you make good time, you can stop in Key Largo or at Alabama Jacks for a snack or late lunch knowing the 2 lane stretch of Route 1 is behind you.

Mentioned in this post
Largo
Largo
Florida
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

That's Labor Day Weekend, but if you're starting in KW, you'll be going against traffic.

I'd still leave plenty of extra time -- I've sat for 3 hours on the 7-Mile Bridge because of an accident.

If you're aiming for a flight, it's a better idea to drive up the night before.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

How can you be routed around traffic in the Keys? When there's only one road for much of the way, and some of it is bridges and causeways, there's no way around an accident. It took us 3 hours to get from Key West to the north end of Key Largo last Friday morning. There were no accidents, but plenty of boat trailers, dump trucks, semis, RVs and slow local traffic. Once you get to the turnpike, the real high speed heavy traffic starts and having a way to find an alternate route around an accident can be helpful. I would leave early and look for someplace to spend some time in Fort Lauderdale if you get there early.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

We left KW at 11am. We stopped in Homestead so hubby and one son could ride a swamp boat with the gators. So that was about a 1.5 hour detour. Then headed to family in Miami for 2.5 hours for a birthday party, so all together about 4 hours of extra's. Our flight was at 9:45pm. We left for the airport at 6:40pm, got gas, returned rental car. When it was all said and done, we were at the boarding area around 9:00pm.

Mentioned in this post
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

How long is a piece of string.

The trip "can" take 3.5 to 4 hours, but if there is an accident, it can get bogged down very quickly and I have had my journey nearly doubled. I would allow plenty of time,

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?

After a vacation in the Keys it would be a shame to have to race up all the way to FLL in under 4 hours.

There's a ton of things to see along that route. The Keys, Everglades, Miami, etc.

Last time I stopped to check out a motel near Marathon where I'd previously stayed, then had lunch at Alabama Jacks after taking the Card Sound Road detour at the top of Key Largo.

Then I had some time to find Calle Ocho in Miami and pick up some cigars (and a Cuban coffee) before heading north to FLL.

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Calle Ocho
Calle Ocho
617 Reviews
Miami, FL
Ft. Lauderdale Intl Airport
Ft. Lauderdale Intl...
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reply to: How long to drive from KW to FLL on August 27?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted