We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islamorada

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Islamorada

We're traveling to Islamorada and would like suggestions for some good places to eat, nothing "fancy" just great food. We're also looking to do some fishing while we're there. We've been to Key West several times but decided to stay in Islamorada. Any other suggestions you have for "must do" while we're there are also appreciated.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islamorada

One of my must go restaurents when i an in the keys is the Islamorada Fish Co. GREAT food and tables are out on a dock

gulf side, it is beautiful.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islamorada

We really like Lazy Days. The food is great and it over looks the Ocean.

Lor-E-Lei is also a real nice spot. They have good food, and entertainment nightly.

Islamorada Fish Market is not what it once was, but worth a try.

I've never been to Outback Steak House, but I have it on good authority that the food is good, and the view is out of this world.

You gotta go to the World Wide Sportsman to shop. Try and be there for the 1:00 feeding of the fish in the aquarium.

Latitudes 25 is a neat shop.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islamorada

We like dinner at Morada Bay. It's nicer than the other places mentioned but still very low key. Outdoor dining. Even if you decide not to eat there, have drinks at sunset with your feet in the sand, listening to the music. Beautiful!

If you catch something you want to eat, many of the restaurants will cook it for you. We usually take our catch to Ballyhoo's. They charge about $10.00 for sides and salad (and cooking and cleaning up after!)

There's a book store in Tavernier Towne Center that has lots of local (i.e., Keys based) fiction, a coffee bar and internet access. The ice cream shop is right next door!

Have a fun trip.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islamorada

We like Island Grill in Islamorada (at Snake Creek)

Islamorada Fish Co was good when it was locally owned, it's too touristy now and we don't enjoy it or take our guests there anymore.

Morada Bay has a good lunch. (but not good bloody marys, if that's possible) Hungry Tarpon and Bob Bunz have great breakfast. Smugglers Cove just changed owners and I have heard some great things about it. (it's across from Island Grill, which is great!!)

We used to love SquidRow, I haven't been since the new owners took over. I've been eating there my entire life and my Grandma worked there when it was just an ice cream shop! YEARS ago. We moved to Marathon and don't get up there much anymore.

You can go to an Outback anywhere. Give some of the locally owened places a shot.

Have a drink at Zane Grey( ok, not locally owned), overlooking the bay, ask for "special Ed" the bartender. Best bartender in Islamorada.

I think the previous poster mentioned feeding the Tarpon at Robbies, that is a must. Eat breakfast at the Hungry Tarpon and kill 2 birds with one stone.

If you want offshore fishing, call The Gotcha at Holiday Isle, if you would like to backcountry fish, look up Robert or/and Tim Klein, usually hanging around Lor a lei.

To me, the one must do when in Islamorada or Marathon, FISH!

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islamorada

We love the Hungry Tarpon, (MM77 Bayside), on your left as you head towards Key Largo from Marathon. Good food, good portions, at a very fair price. We've only ever had breakfast there, but would go for lunch/dinner if we happened by at the proper hour.

We've also had lunch a couple times at Morada Bay (~MM82 Bayside), and enjoyed it. I don't so much remember the food as I do the view and the large beach area with chairs. After waking up early one chilly February morning in Atlanta, we had to pinch ourselves as we sat on that beach in the sun at lunchtime.

We also enjoyed lunch at the Fish House in Key Largo on one trip, as we were making our way to MIA. The atmosphere isn't the best, but we had great service (place was nearly empty in the off season), and the food was good.

As for things to do, there are some fun snorkel trips out to the reefs, (Oceanside) off Key Largo, and others that head out to Looe Key, (though we've never done one of those trips). Another thing on our "must list" for our next Keys adventure is some sort of kayak tour on the bayside.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Islamorada

Island Grill is great - lunch or dinner. Morada Bay has a decent lunch but dinners are so-so given the price....as others have said, it's a great spot for a good cocktail and the sunset. Pierre's next door is top drawer but you'll pay the price. We just went to the new Green Turtle Inn....it's, unfortunately, an indoor venue but it was excellent! Islamorada Fish Company is just a great spot to spend time...drinks are good (rumrunner with a floater), sandwiches are fine and fun to watch the fishing boats come in.

7. Re: Islamorada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 10:17