We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location??

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester County,Pa.
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel location??

I'm a little concerned. This is our first trip to Key West and when I mapped our hotel I noticed it is near the airport....on the ocean...but near the airport. (should have mapped it first) However, how far is it from downtown? Will we need to use the car to get around or can we rent mopeheds or bikes? Is this a busy noisy airport?

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
643 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel location??

The Best Western Key Ambassador backs right up to the east end of the runway. There will be noise, and the planes go over at about 200 feet.

I've stayed there numerous times and wouldn't hesitate to return, but I'm a pilot and enjoy watching the traffic go over. KWTaxi can probably tell you how many commercial flights come in every day. Add to that numerous general aviation aircraft.

It has a very nice pool and a Tiki Bar next to it. There's a somewhat continental breakfast each morning, which I like, but I've heard others complain about. If you like toast or a bagel, some cereal, muffin, danish, fruit, juices and coffee, it's just fine. Don't expect it to be a "cooked to order" from the Crown Sterling Suites, though.

lower al.
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel location??

we are going for our first trip also, staying at doubletree. after it was book found out it was about 2 mi from old town but they said they had a shuttle. going to give it a try they say doubletree is a nice place. Like our first trip to vegas enjoyed it but learn the ropes and the next time we went we knew The what and where to do.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel location??

Since you are staying on that side I've always said that the walk along the sidewalk across from the airport then along Smathers Beach in the morning is one of the nicest. The sun is coming up behind you and you can watch the seaplanes leave for the Dry Tortugas at 8:00 a.m., the pelicans and other birds dive for their breakfasts, and just say hello to the people who are walking, walking their dogs, in-line skating and jogging.

Pjk

Florida
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel location??

On our last trip down we stayed at Hyatt Windward Point, just South of Best Western. We didn't have any problem with the noise of the airport - not really any planes coming or going while we were sleeping. Also, I agree with PJK. Every morning I sat on the balcony and watched the sun come up, and watched the joggers running along Roosevelt. Very pretty.

We did have our car and drove it into town. We went at the end of May and never had a problem finding a spot (although the majority of the time we did pay to park - and we factor that cost into our trip). Hope this helps.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel location??

I haven't found it that quiet downtown. Scooters, chickens and people.

The best way to see Key west is on a bike. enjoy your trip!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel location??

We just returned and stayed at the Hyatt Wyndward Pointe - the first time we have ever stayed anywhere other than Old Town - and the last time. We thought we had a "plan" that we could make work nicely with respects back & forth, etc. First, the walk ocean-side along Roosevelt isn't peaceful or relaxing now - with heavy, heavy road construction. The ocen view from our very expensive suite patio was mostly heavy equipment. The airport traffic/noise was far less disturbing than the concrete sawing that started at 7:00 a.m.

Second our "plan" didn't work out that well. We ended up driving to Old Town late morning for lunch and the afternoon festivities - parking is tough - either $15.00 in a lot or limited time meter parking. Back to the Hyatt late afternoon to freshen up for dinner and evening festivities - we took cabs into Old Town then (for obvious reasons) - $20 with tip there and back which adds $40 on to your evening tab...pretty pricey.

My opinion - you'll never get to love KW if you don't stay in Old Town and walk, walk, walk. Anyone driving in on Roosevelt has to wonder what in the world attracts people....we have lots of friends that have stayed in the upper or middle Keys and driven down for the day, only to stay a couple of hours - you can't see or feel the charm when you're trying to fight traffic and find a parking spot.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotel location??

If at all possible, you want to stay in Old Town. Key West has extremely limited parking. Also, they STRICTLY enforce drinking and driving laws. You do not want to move your car, the entire stay, once it is parked. Taking a taxi will add up quickly. A scooter is over $100 a day. I think a bike is $20 a day (I bring mine along now), but I have not rented one recently.

When the planes land and take off is during the day, so you will most likely not be in your room. It is not a busy airport.

I agree with the others who posted, if you are not near Duval Street, you won't really have a great time.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hotel location??

You can rent a bicycle for about $10 a day at Moped Hospital. Scooters are $35 a day or $150 a week.

19. Re: Hotel location??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 22:20