We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

hi all,

we've narrowed it down to these 3 for a july "first-time-trip" for a whole week.

we are not into pampering or being pampered.

can't seem to find any real negatives about any of them. any suggestions? am i missing something?

as an aside, does anyone know a good beer to drink when it's 90 degrees? it's been 35 here so long i forgot.

thanks for your help.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

I haven't stayed at any of these - but we're trying Angelina this May. It looks to be very laid back and simple - how we like it in Key West. I have heard nothing but good things about Angelina from locals and visitors alike.

does anyone know a good beer to drink when it's 90 degrees - depends on the happy hour & what the bar has on draft! :)

Seriously - I think any will hit the spot - but in Key West I love to get the Key West Sunset Ale and it's so cold on draft - we love it!

Kelly's microbrews are great - and I love the bar there, good view & you're in the shade!

Also, several afternoons we enjoyed the bucket of Kalik special at Schooner's Wharf.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

I haven't stayed at any of these - but we're trying Angelina this May. It looks to be very laid back and simple - how we like it in Key West. I have heard nothing but good things about Angelina from locals and visitors alike.

does anyone know a good beer to drink when it's 90 degrees - depends on the happy hour & what the bar has on draft! :)

Seriously - I think any will hit the spot - but in Key West I love to get the Key West Sunset Ale and it's so cold on draft - we love it!

Kelly's microbrews are great - and I love the bar there, good view & you're in the shade!

Also, several afternoons we enjoyed the bucket of Kalik special at Schooner's Wharf.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

My computer had issues - sorry for the repeat!

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

thanks keysbride. will be looking for your report on key west and angelina house when you return.?? have a great time. . i know that the angelina prices seem quite reasonable for what they advertise.

interestingly, the first beer you mentioned, key west ale is my favorite on tap at bonita bill's, in ft. myers beach, right under the bridge. a nice little dive where i be at lunch everyday when i'm in that neck of the woods.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

I will definitely post a review of Angelina when we get back!

In the past we've stayed at Courtney's Place (B&B) a few times and have always been pleased with it too. It's also simple & laidback and I like the employees there. I did like it's private entrances & private porches it has.

But at the Angelina we're looking forward to relaxing at their pool and the hammock there. And also sampling their homemade cinnamon rolls!

Last year in Sarasota, FL area I was happy to find the Publix there carried the KW Sunset Ale so we had to get a couple of 6 packs. One of my favorites!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

uptobat -

By the way - I hope you all have a great first trip to KW. You'll love it!

Are you flying or driving? We've done both & they both have their pros/cons. This year we're flying to FLL and then driving to KW that next morning & saved tons of $$ b/c of definite raise in flights.

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

looks like we'll fly and bite the bullet.

checked out the guy who did the private bus from miami, but his website says he's no longer doing it.

i don't mind driving, but i think we just want to get there.

i don't think we'll have to try too hard to have a good time...

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,490 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

I've stayed at Cypress House once. We had the best time. They have a great happy hour, we met so many fun people. We had our (adult) kids with us, so stayed in the suite with two bedrooms. It was just ok, but I looked at some others, and would love to go back. But, they've been full on each of our return trips.

We've stayed at Marrero's twice and will return in November. Great location. Ok rooms, decent breakfast. They do have a happy hour, but we've always managed to miss it. Ok pool, clothing optional. The big old house is showing some wear and tear, but to me, it just adds character.

Haven't stayed at Angelina.

Key West, FL.
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

I would go with Angelina. When I was tourist ( not a resident ) my wife and I stayed in many places. A different place every visit. Angleina was in my top three favorites. I was deffently WOWed. If you are looking for a place to add the Key West flavor then Angelina is the way to go. Three reasons I love the place so much:

1) Halls are filled with books that you can take out on the wrap around balcony and just relax and read....and listen to roosters.

2) HUGE oversize hammock by the pool.

3) small rooms with old looking wicker beds and that is about it. No TV, radio , or clock.

As for a great beer to drink in 90 degree heat....Hazed and Infused. Would you bring some down for me???? :) No one carries it down here!

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: angelina, marrero's, or cypress house?

jeanh and keokolo,

thanks for the input. i'm late geeting back. we just finished 4 baseball games in 40 degree weather and my fingerscouldn't type.

jeanh, i've read a lot of your posts to get to these 3 choices and you've been one of my good sources.

keokolo, we may have to switch rooms mid-week if we choose angelina. we're surprised how these places fill in the summer.

we've now pushed our dates into mid-july since we'll be in steamboat in june. so we'll check availability then.

the free- spirit in me says marrero though. have vacationed in similar surroundings in the past without any "reservations".

i don't think we'll go wrong with any of them. we don't spend a lot of time in the room.......just "quality time"

keokolo, would some iron city do? afterall, it will be 90+ and you can always do it belize style; on the rocks(con hielo in mexico)

Get answers to your questions about Key West