We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's in new town?

Waconia, Minnesota
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What's in new town?

I've been reading the posts for a few weeks now and have come to the conclusion that a lot of people that travel to KW don't stay in or visit new town. I assume it is because it's not a walk-to-wherever-you-want-to-go type of area? More spread out? There must be something there worth seeing ... any good restaurants?

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's in new town?

Think golden arches, etc

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's in new town?

We go to New Town for the Borders bookstore, the grocery store, and last but not least: the liquor store. Roosevelt is really just one large strip mall with fast food joints, commercial buildings and several chain hotels. We always have a car in Key West and drive around the island a lot, but I can't really think of anything "to do" in that area. We do, however, go to Stock Island to eat fairly regularly.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's in new town?

There are a few places to go in New Town, but if you miss them, you really haven't missed much. New Town is basically "the burbs" for Old Town and the majority of our shopping is there. (groceries, drug stores, Sears, K-Mart, Home Depot, etc). If you get off of North Roosevelt, you will find block after block of residences.

We live in New Town and find it a lot quieter and calmer than living in the areas where thousands of visitors go daily.

It isn't as "charming" as Old Town as the area was created in the 40s and 50s by the Army Corp, of Engineers by filling in swamp land. The homes here are, therfore, not as old. But it is a bit less expensive to live here than in Old Town. Plus, we are just a short scooter ride away from Old Town.

We ate at Walter's Grill last night. (Kennedy and Flagler) and also like to go to Shanna Key (Irish pub at 1st and Flagler) occasionally. The Outback is next to Sears in Seartown Plaza and is ALWAYS busy, but it's mostly locals as most visitors can go to Outback at home and don't really want to go there while on vacation. I guess that would make Outback the ulitimate "locals place" here in KW. lol

4. Re: What's in new town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:21